TTT (Top Ten Tuesday) is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl . If you want to quadruple the size of your TBR AND find a bunch of great book blogs to follow head on over and check it out!
I have missed so many of these in my pandemic-driven lack of blogging that I'm just going to pick favorites I didn't get to weigh in on. Okay? Okay.
One fairly recent top ten topic was "long titles." I came up with a few rules for myself in what qualified:
- Books I've actually read and enjoyed
- No subtitles--unless I felt deep in my soul that the subtitle was actually a vital part of the title
- Six word minimum
- But given that, the more syllables, the better, obviously. The Rest of Us Just Live Here has more words than The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, but clearly the latter is a longer title.
- Tie breakers were given to the books I liked better
Working from that framework, and going back a few years on my Goodreads "read" list, I came up with this:
- The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things
- Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
- Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy
- Don’t You Dare Read this, Mrs. Dunphrey
- Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
- The Boy Who Couldn’t Sleep and Never Had To
- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal
- Neil Armstrong is my Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
- I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President
I feel like the last two were quite intentional about trying to write ridiculously long titles. And I love them for it!
Working on this list, I remembered that whole YA fantasy title trope of ___ of ___ and ___, and I had to make another list of just those. It's so common that Epic Reads made a title generator out of it! I didn't just copy it here, because I'm respectful of copyright like that. What's your title? Mine is Dance of Memories and Monsters, which TOTALLY sounds like a book I'd read.
- A Song of Wraiths and Ruin
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
- The Knife of Never Letting Go
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone
- The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
- The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
- Girl of Fire and Thorns
- The Smell of Other People’s Houses
- The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly
- The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B