Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Book Haul: Classroom Library

I feel like I reined in my book buying this summer.

But when I started scanning new books into my classroom library, I realized I was fooling myself.

Here are the ones I just couldn't resist.

Two books by the inimitable Patricia Polacco: Mr Lincoln's Way and The Keeping Quilt
The double-twist humor of A Hungry Lion (Or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals)
The mildly surreal School's First Day of School
The native voice of Mama Do You Love Me?




A hybrid novel/graphic novel that looks spooky-good, The First Escape
A light MG graphic novel, Muddy Max.
The looks-like-fun Trouble is a Friend of Mine
The documentary novel Loving Vs. Virginia



Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock for all my 13 Reasons Why obsessed kids, in hopes that Matthew Quick does a better job at portraying teen suicidal impulses
The first Lumberjanes because my own kids love the series, so hopefully my students will too.
Posted, because what says middle school more than a book that starts with the banning of cell phones and students' plans to work around that?
Ashes to Ashes because I just now realized it's book 3 in a series.  Sigh.




A second copy of Ball Don't Lie, because my classroom can never have too much Matt de la Peña.
Thrilled to find a used (thus cheaper) copy of The Upside of Unrequited, which I loved.
Jefferson's Sons is about his kids who were his slaves, which is kind of an important thing to keep in mind when learning US history. Really liked the author's other book I've read too.
Hoping that a first person warning will be heeded by my students in our town full of meth addicts, I got Tweak, even though it has crappy reviews.





I paid full price for Solo and am refusing to find out what it's about.  It's Kwame Alexander's new book, that's all I need to know.
I accidentally bought the third book of the Nnewts graphic novel twice, but it's okay; my students love the series and have been waiting eagerly for this volume.
I got The 100 as a shameless TV connection.  I will do ANYTHING to get a kid to read.
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong is a graphic novel that looks hilarious, even if its plot sounds a lot like the plot of Awkward.

The good thing about buying all these books is it does make me excited to get back into the classroom and start getting these into kids' hands!

3 comments:

  1. So many books! I didn’t like Leonard Peacock because it’s predictable, but pretty much anything is better than 13 Reasons Why.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want access to your classroom library! You have the best books, and your students are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that I have missed Mr. Lincoln's Way? We are mad for Patricia Polacco at my school.

    Glad you are going to join up on the Cybils again!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!