Wednesday, August 2, 2017

July in Review

It's an "off-brand" graphic, but I'm recycling it from last summer because mmmm ice cream.

My Reading

# of books read: 21 plus picture books
Best(s): 




 The Crossover (re-read); Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood (audiobook); House Arrest (Novel in Verse); Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War (nonfiction); A List of Cages (multiple POV); A Prayer for Owen Meany (literary fiction); You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (memoir); Our Dark Duet (fantasy); The Inexplicable Logic of my Life (contemporary), and Burn, Baby, Burn (historical fiction).

I love making up different categories so all of my favorites can be a "best of."  Yes, I am mentioning roughly half of my reading this month as "best of."  That is some GREAT READING! I also notice a lot of blue on the covers, with some yellow accents.


Mt. TBR progress: 39  I added six more books, which is pretty good.  Especially since three of them made that "best of" list!  More books to push onto kids. 

 

Bookish Events and Happenings

  • I'm still working on my #bookaday summer.  I killed it in July, frankly.  I know I said I read 21 books, but that's because I don't officially track picture books.  But I do count them for this challenge.  #consistent.  But there were many days in which yes, I read a whole book. 

  • I noticed a Little Free Library down the street from where I dropped my son of for day camp early this month, and a friend had just returned my copy of Glass Castle, which I've already read and probably wouldn't put in my middle school classroom, so I actually remembered to bring it along the next time and place it there.  #PayItForward.  (I'm just going to hashtag the heck out of this section, for some reason.  #hashtagtheheck #noreasonneeded)

  • I just spent a hundred bucks adding to my classroom library.  #whoops #letsnottellthewinemaker I was really focused on not buying any full-price books, at least.  Just remaindered and used.  But I HAD to get Kwame Alexander's new book, because duh.  Maybe I'll do a book haul post.  I don't usually do those, for some reason. 

  • We canceled our Audible account today (after cashing in the last few credits, of course.)  Our library keeps improving its Overdrive audiobook service, so why pay?  I'm sure that 8 bucks a month or whatever will totally cancel out the amount I spent on books today.  #accountantskillz

  • And I had this delightful Twitter exchange with Laurie Halse Anderson, author of (amongst others) Speak, The Impossible Knife of Memory, and Twisted.


I'm not at my regular library today, and am fighting this library's creakily ancient computers, so that's the best I can do in capturing not only her original tweet, but her spot-on response to my reply.  It's a gif, and Katniss is bowing and saying "Thank you." 

On the Blog

11 posts, which is kind of lame.  But I'm reading a bunch!  Plus I watched the entire season of Riverdale in one day and I'm deep into the second season of The 100, for which I 100% (ha!) blame Shannon.  And, well, kids and life and stuff. 

I did a whole-series (so far) review of Megan Whalen Turner's Attolia books, I used a mentor text to attempt a poem, I listed a bunch of embarrassing things I've done, I did two tags: the Mid-Year Freakout tag and the Getting To Know Me tag, I posted two reviews of 5 star books, and I played Six Degrees of Separation
 

IRL

My daughter went to Iowa with my in-laws, then my son made a bow (as in "an arrow) at a weeklong day camp, then my daughter went to horse camp, and now my son is in another day camp.  So I've been spending a lot of time in the car.

One of my best friend moved to another state (boo), and another one took me on a float trip in honor of my birthday (yay).  The Winemaker went to Canada for almost two weeks and spent time with an old friend, then participated in the North American Bridge Championships.  (Think "card game" not "structural engineering.")  They got their asses handed to them on a platter, but they had a great time, got to play with some real experts (well, not with so much as against), and came home motivated to keep learning and improving. 

I had a week of half-day equity training.  Our district is going to be a case study for a PhD from University of Washington as she tests her research about how to make education more equitable and engaging for learners from diverse backgrounds.

I took my son up to Mt. Hood for a couple of days and we did a hike that used to be easy for me...at least I can still make it. 

Pics!





My monthly summaries are always linked to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up on Feed Your Fiction Addiction, along with many other terrific blogs' monthly reflections.  




5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a July. So many great reads. Plus fun with friends anf fam and prep for the next school year plus your birthday. Great month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d probably put that ice cream graphic on every single post because ice cream.

    That Twitter exchange with Laurie Halse Anderson is glorious. Authors have retweeted me before, but I’ve never talked to them directly because I’m a wimp.

    It looks like your kids are having an awesome summer. I miss horseback riding. It’s sooo expensive.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a perfect summer with a little bit of everything fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG how amazingly cool is the National Bridge Championships!!! Rock star!! Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You calling your TBR "Mt. TBR" made me smile. Because #truth

    And how fun for your kids to be in camps! Maybe not for you with driving, but how fun for them. haha :D Those are fond memories for me as a kid, doing things like that.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!