Wednesday, August 30, 2017

August in Review


My Reading

# of books read: 24
Best(s): A Conjuring of Light, Three Dark Crowns, Refugee, This Side of Home, Tales from Outer Suburbia, My Life in Dog Years.
Mt. TBR progress: 7 books.  I'm up to 46 for the year, and worry that I'm not going to make my 100 book goal.


Bookish Events and Happenings

I brought my rocking chair into my classroom, so my porch reading nook is now sadly lacking in a place to sit.  

I continue to live in awe of authors.  Kate Messner has organized a "KidLit Cares" campaign in which dozens and dozens of authors, illustrators, and editors are offering prizes to be auctioned off, with all money raised going to help people affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Check it out!

On the Blog

I disappeared.  I only posted 7 times this month, which is my lowest ever.  Gearing up for school, trying to get a lot of reading done, and having a family life did not leave me much time.  The state of the world did not leave me very motivated either.  It just seems awkward to fangirl about books when the world is burning, or drowning--whichever is on the agenda this week. I did write a response to This Side of Home, a book that addresses gentrification in the neighborhood my dad grew up in, and then I wrote another post about my dad and race and my city, because there's a lot to think about right now.

I also wrote a post about my family's stuffed reindeer, Spot.


IRL

As I said, the news today lurches from disaster to disaster, and I've been preoccupied all month.  Life goes on, especially for those of us with all sorts of unearned privilege, so I also baked my husband a birthday cake, went to the beach overnight with some dear friends I used to work with, and took the kids swimming.  I hosted family gatherings for both sides of our family, cleverly scheduled close enough together that we only had to do the full-on cleaning of the house once.  My daughter and I got her room painted.  I went back to school for inservice, and the first kids started up today.

I am tired.  But cheerful.  But mostly tired.  Let's see what September brings.  


My monthly summaries are always linked to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up on Feed Your Fiction Addiction, along with many other terrific blogs' monthly reflections.  Nicole usually puts together a fun scavenger hunt giveaway too, so go check it out!





10 comments:

  1. I’ve also been having a hard time staying motivated with everything that’s going on in the world and in my life. Some days I just stare at the New Post screen on my blog and don’t want to do anything.

    I loved My Life in Dog Years when I was a kid. I actually had multiple copies of it. I still need to read A Conjuring of Light and Refugee.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy. I would be tired too. Good luck with the upcoming school year. I taught for 12 years, and I remember September being so hectic. I hope all goes smoothly for you. I just finished One Dark Crown yesterday, and Blake definitely turned it up a notch in book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read My Life in Dog Years this summer as well. The kids seem to really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your September will be a good one. I know the tired feeling. It doesn't fee like it will go away. Maybe it is the weather. Or just all the negative and sad things happening around the world that weigh us down.

    I hope your start back to school goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for bringing Kid Lit Cares to my attention. I'll definitely have to share that with people!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's hope September can be better both for the world and for your book blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I don't have kids going back to school, for some reason I feel like I've been getting little done except reading. Unfortunately, (and I'm sure it's me) I've not been super excited about any new releases. I've started so many books and read only about 50 to 75 pages and then just laid them aside. The ones I've actually read, I've only reviewed about a fourth of them. And those reviews sound forced and blah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looked at the link to "My Life In Dog Years"--true-dog tales are always great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read your August books, but my favorite YA in August was The disappearances as i enjoy mysteries. I wish you a wonderful school year and hope you'll find your reading groove again to make more headway towards your 100 books goal (which is ambitious to me as I'm a slow reader).

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!