Saturday, July 22, 2017

Mid-Year Book Freak-Out Tag 2017


I traditionally do this in mid-July despite the year being WEEKS past the mid-point.  I'm a non-conformist; what can I say?  (Kidding.  Mostly.)

Let's see what the questions are--and, most likely, what my answers are as well.  I'm pulling from a couple of different versions of this tag to try to share a variety of answers without repeating myself.   Unless specified as a new release, the books might have been published at any time in the past, but I read them in 2017. I've read around 125 books so far, so I'm going to give multiple answers for most of these.

Brace yourself for an onslaught of books.  This post took a hellishly long time to put together, so bear with me on typos and errors.  Titles link to Goodreads.

Best Books so Far

Contemporary YA: Ramona Blue, The Upside of Unrequited, All American Boys
Nonfiction: Some Writer!, Most Dangerous, Bubonic Panic, Every Falling Star
Memoir You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, Born a Crime, Hypothetical Future Baby
Speculative Fiction Strange the Dreamer, Denton Little's Deathdate, The Inquisitor's Tale
Historical Fiction: The Smell of Other People's Houses, The War that Saved my Life, Maus I & 2
Literary Fiction (Books for grown-ups?  Adult fiction?): Americanah, A Prayer for Owen Meany
Re-reads: The King of Attolia, The Good Master, The Crossover


Most Anticipated Upcoming 2017 Release

Because I love the authorClick'd by Tamara Ireland Stone, Jane, Unlimited by Kristen Cashore, All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater
Because I like the series:  The True Queen, Retribution Rails


(That Jane, Unlimited cover is awful.  I hope it gets fixed.)

Best Sequel so Far

Brave, Thick as ThievesOur Dark Duet



New Release You Haven't Read Yet, But Want To

A Conjuring of Light, They Both Die at the End, Release, Disrupting Thinking, The Inexplicable Logic of My Life


And yes, I own two of these and have another checked out from the library, yet I haven't read them.

Biggest Disappointment


Biggest Surprise

Flying Lessons and Other Stories, because anthologies are usually uneven, but I loved this entire collection.  Most Dangerous because I thought it would be dry and dull, and instead it was thrilling and engaging.  The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, a random library find, because it was lovely and dreamlike and entirely unexpected.


Favorite New Author

Robin Roe, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Barry Lyga, Derek Kirk Kim, I. W. Gregorio

New Favorite Character


The eponymous Ramona Blue, Jane Steele, and Owen Meany; Molly Peskin Suso from The Upside of Unrequited, Pen from Girl Mans Up, Sarai from Strange the Dreamer

Book That Made You Cry

Born a Crime is the only one that made me full-on cry, although Strange the Dreamer, You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, The Crossover, Girl in Pieces, and A List of Cages all made me misty-eyed.


Dude made me laugh out loud too, but I was expecting that.  Hand-down best celebrity memoir I've ever read, probably because it's got nothing to do with his celebrity and instead is a love letter to his mom (not in a creepy way!) and an extremely engaging description of what it was like growing up biracial as apartheid fell apart.  Fascinating.




Book That Made You Happy

The Sun is Also a Star, Princeless, Bandette, Ghost 



I guess it's no surprise that these are some of the most brightly colored covers on this post.

Most Beautiful Book So Far

the illustrated copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I read to my daughter.


5 comments:

  1. Awesome answers to these questions, so many books I need to look into now!

    Deanna Reads Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have very similar reading tastes! I've been wanting to pick up Trevor Noah's book - I guess I need to get on that one ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many books in this post that I need to read. I wish I could read as fast as you. I think I’ve read 61 books so far this year. Every time I read a book, I add 10 more to my TBR list.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post must have taken forever to put together! I am with you on A Conjuring of Light - I need to pick that sucker up toot sweet! A Prayer for Owen Meany is another book I would really like to read some day so I'm glad to see it worked for you. Happy reading in 2nd not-quite-half of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Click'd was cute. I love Stone, so that's why I read it, and it was a cute friendship and life lesson type of book. I am a huge fan of Molly too. She was a great character. I need to read List of Cages, because it keeps popping up on people's lists (in a good way)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!