Sunday, July 2, 2017

June in Review


My Reading

# of books read: 25, plus several picture books and lots and lots of Calvin & Hobbes.
Best(s): When you read 25 books in one month, you get a lot of good ones. Let's see:
Best adult novel: Americanah
Best YA novel: The Sun in Also a Star
Best MG novel: The Inquisitor's Tale
Best collection: Flying Lessons and Other Stories
Best re-read: The King of Attolia

(I totally just made up those categories after looking at which books I gave five stars to.)


And the rest weren't bad either.  I'd give Usename Evie a miss, if I were you, but the others were all good to excellent.


Also, I love you, but this computer is driving me nuts, and I've already spent two hours on this post.  No links from pics.  Just from my favorite titles.  If something else looks interesting, use Goodreads. 


Mt. TBR progress: 4 books, for a total of 33.  I'm nearly to the top of Mt. Vancouver. I'm also 17 books behind schedule, but hey--that's what summer is for. I'm working on it!

Bookish Events and Happenings

Looking back at last month, where I shared my summer bookish goals, I am doing my usual haphazard best. I've spent many mornings sitting in my outdoor book nook with a cup of coffee, reading away. I am doing great on my book-a-day challenge, and have only had to use a picture book a few times. I finished one of the professional books I wanted to read, but did a really poor job at connecting with the online group that read it together. In my defense, it seemed to kind of fall apart after the first week. I think I'll do better with the second online professional book group.

My family is also making heavy use of the library lately. On Father's Day, after we took The Winemaker out for breakfast, we all went to the library for the afternoon, where the kids 3D printed fidget spinners and my daughter and The Winemaker did some digital laser cutting and created a few t-shirts. The other day my son went to a "Disassembly Party" and got to take apart some old appliances and electronics.

Plus, books, right?

On the Blog

I feel like I've been neglectful of the blog as of late, but still posted 14 times in June. The big one, of course, is my 2 year anniversary, complete with giveaway. Check it out! I had fun writing about my book related sins, and I pushed myself to do some teacher blogging about my thinking and planning around summer reading slide. Wow, I feel like I wrote those a REALLY LONG TIME AGO.  The end of the school year is always kind of nuts.

IRL

As I said, the school year ended, a bit late due to our unprecedented number of snow days. The first three weeks of June are essentially a vibrant blur.  

Then we went up to Mt. Hood for four days in a rental home with my oldest group of friends. We used to go camping together every summer, but somehow in the past five years, we've drifted from camping to cabining or yurting to just plain renting a big ol' house. We still had a bonfire each evening, and still got out for some nature walks, and still laughed and talked and reminisced and dreamed together. We're never quite sure if we've been doing this every year but one for the last twenty years, or every year but two for the last nineteen, or what, because we didn't realize when we started that we were starting a lifetime tradition, that our kids would grow up thinking of our trips as an "always" kind of thing, part of what makes summer, summer.







My monthly summaries are always linked to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up on Feed Your Fiction Addiction, along with many other terrific blogs' monthly reflections.  Nicole usually puts together a fun scavenger hunt giveaway too, so go check it out!





8 comments:

  1. I love the photos, and your library sounds like the coolest place ever. My library just has really old books. I’ve thought about reading The Inquisitor’s Tale, but I wasn’t sure if it was my kind of thing. I’m glad you liked it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unsure of The Inquisitor's Tale too, so I listened to the first 1/3 on audio. By then I was sucked in. You might enjoy the whole faux Chaucer aspect of having different middle age-y types share their story. It's also super well researched, without that "look at me, I'm super well researched!" thing.

      Delete
  2. I love that you guys do a trip with friends every year and that you made it into an accidental tradition. Those are memories that will last a lifetime for them!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that you've had a super productive month. Congrats on two years!! I hope July is just as much, if not more, productive and awesome for you.

    I'm new to blogging and book reviewing, and I was wondering if you had any tips for newbie bloggers and book reviewers.

    If you have the time, please check out my blog @breenysbooks. I'd love any feedback. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressed that you read 25 books last month! And you can never go wrong with Calvin & Hobbes! Love those two! I've been hitting my library pretty hard since getting my library card, but only for books as they don't have anything as cool as a 3D printer. Still, it's books! :)

    Very cool that you and your friends accidentally started a great summer tradition. Loved the pictures!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing good things about The Inquisitor's Tale. I should really get around to it! I love that your kids made fidget spinners at the 3D printer - that sounds very 2017 to me, haha. The disassembly party also sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your yearly vacationing is awesome and I love that your kids consider it part of every summer. I miss visiting the UP of Michigan every July. We had to stop when the kids starting marching band as they begin right away, even before school gets out. I really enjoyed most of the stories in Flying Lessons. I can't wait to read THUG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked up "The Adventures Of Superhero Girl." That looks like a hoot! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!