Thursday, May 25, 2017

Types of Books that are Hooking My Most Reluctant Readers



I woke up Saturday morning to more Twitter notifications than usual.  Since by "usual," I mean zero, "more than" is about twenty.  Still, enough to make me curious.  It turns out that my guest post on the Nerdy Book Blog had posted, and some people were actually sharing it.  Yay!

If you are curious about what I'm tempting my middle schoolers with, you too can check out my suggestions on their blog.  It covers everything from Elephant and Piggie books to books that acknowledge teen sex.

My reading classroom changes from day to day, man.  One day I can't get anyone to settle down and read, and the next day they don't want to stop.  One kid who hasn't read all year suddenly falls into a book, and another kid who's been happily reading suddenly stalls out.  It's delicate and fascinating and frustrating to try to create the just right circumstances and help kids find the just right book.  It's also kind of awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love that first paragraph. A few days ago, I had 4 Twitter notifications and was like, “OMG I’m famous!”

    I just checked out your article. My older sister had some Choose Your Own Adventure books that I liked when I was a kid. I read them so many times.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!