Wednesday, April 5, 2017

This or That: Bookish Edition

During my Slice of Life month of blogging and commenting, I read a post called "This or That," and thought--ooh, that would be fun to do a bookish version of!  It's probably been done before, but I don't think I've seen it, so if I'm ripping off your idea, give yourself credit in the comments.  Otherwise, play along in the comments and/or create your own post!

Buy new or buy used?
Either, but I'd rather buy used (or remaindered) when I can, because I'm cheap like that.  As long as the book isn't gross or stinky, I don't care if it's used.

Eat while you read or read while you eat?
There's a quote about this, but I am too lazy to look it up right now.  I prefer to eat while I read--snacking on a chocolate chip cookie or caramel while I sit on the couch with my book.  If I'm eating something messy or soupy, then I have trouble reading while I'm eating at the table.  I want both hands for the book.

Re-read old favorites or pre-order upcoming possibilities?
I didn't even know about pre-orders until a year or two ago, and it's not something I've done very often, but I HAVE pre-requested books at the library several times lately.  I re-read constantly as a kid, but now I have too much FOMO.

Read every single word or skim at times?
I'm a skimmer.  I have to force myself not to accidentally read the next page if things are tense, and I feel totally fine with skimming if I'm bored.

Happy endings or tragic?
Happy, but not too happy, you know?  Like, I don't want to feel pandered to, and I want the characters to earn their redemption or what-have-you.

Audiobooks or ebooks?
Audiobooks, though I'm not a huge fan of either.  Audiobooks go too slowly, and ebooks are hard on my eyes.  But I like that I can listen to Audiobooks while I drive.

Multiple books at once, or one at a time?
This is another one that has changed over time. Lately I seem to always have multiple books going.  First the obvious ones--the book I'm reading to a class, the book I'm reading to a kid, the book I'm listening to in the car, and my book.  But sometimes that morphs into my book at school and my book downstairs and my book upstairs and my book that I started but then got distracted.

Mostly one genre, or a little bit of everything?
A little bit of everything. Except horror.  And most Westerns, romance, and erotica.  And business books.  Okay "everything" was clearly overstating it, but I do like fantasy, sci fi, mysteries, historical fiction, memoirs, YA, picture books, classics, and some fancy-pants literature.

Lifelong obsession or later (re)discovery?
Family legend has it that I taught myself to read at age three.  I've never stopped.

Classics--yea or nay?
Yea.  I don't read as much as I used to, but I used to read a lot of Dickens, Hardy, and Austen, and a lot of my childhood favorites were classics too.

Read aloud to others or be read to?
I really like reading aloud.  I get super into it too.  I like being read to also, but it goes too slowly.

Absolute silence or background noise/music?
Whatever.  I don't need quiet, but if I start out listening to music, I tune it out pretty quickly.  Recently I was reading a book at an elementary school event in the midst of gleefully shrieking kids.

Cover on or naked?
Naked.  Covers drive me nuts.  Except occasionally lately I've come across covers with a really pleasing texture that doesn't feel like plastic to my fingers and doesn't slip around annoyingly.

Dog-ear or bookmark?
Trick question!  Neither!  Usually I just have a sense of how far into the book I was a flip through it to find my spot, or if I'm leaving for just a short time, I put the book upside down.  This is part of where being a fast reader comes into play--I am only looking for my spot a couple of times during any one book.

Movie covers or originals?
Just kidding.  Everyone knows movie covers suck.

I'm linking this up with the Discussion challenge on Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Starts at Midnight, so go ahead and discuss your take on these choices!


6 comments:

  1. I always skimmed my textbooks, but I read every word when I’m reading for fun. It’s impressive that you can read fast enough to not need bookmarks. It usually takes me 2-3 days to get through a book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really fun idea for a post--totally bookmarking for a Slice in the next month or so. I don't really use bookmarks either--just remember where I'm at, more or less. When I do use bookmarks, it's always a paint chip, and I'm picky about which color to match with which book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I listen to audiobooks in the car as well. Other than that I have a hard time getting in to them, and there are only certain types of audiobooks that make good car books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I do the tense scene skimming too! I agree about happy but not too happy too- I like realistic. But you don't need to kill all my faves either ;) I always read books naked too- because I always end up getting the cover eeevvvver so slightly bent and it drives me bananas ;) This is so fun, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I rarely skim through books when I'm reading, except if the book turns out to be boring and I want to skip through the boring scenes.

    Here’s my Book Chat on Recommendations!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I think I'll do one myself to give you my answers. ;-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!