Sunday, March 26, 2017

SOL #27: Kids, Expectations and Boundaries

This March writing challenge is organized by Two Writing Teachers

Truly a slice of life here:

The Boy has been grounded for three weeks, meaning no playing with friends, and very little screen time.  This is due to several back-to-back incidents that kept resetting his time owed.

Today his buddy came by hoping to play.  It's spring break, and refusing to let a kid play during spring break just seems wrong.  Still, it is the same buddy he's gotten into trouble with before, so I said yes, but you need to stay within view of the driveway.

They did that for awhile, then they came in and baked cake without a recipe, then they wanted to head back out, and asked if they could go further afield, to a nature path one street over.  I went over some ground rules, then said yes.  Then the buddy asked if my daughter could come too.

"Great idea!" I enthused.  "That way she can tattle if you guys do anything dumb!"  The friend looked embarrassed, but shrugged and nodded.  My daughter eagerly started to put her shoes on.

"Wait," said my son.  "She doesn't have to tell on us for swearing, right?"

Such are the compromises of parenting.




Later, everyone was home again.  The friend came in to the living room where The Winemaker and I were sitting and said, "Can I borrow your phone to call my mom and ask if I can spend the night over here?"  I'm sure the looks on our faces were comical.

"Let's talk about that for a minute," I said diplomatically.  We offered to have him over tomorrow night instead, but it seems he's busy.  "Maybe some other time, then," I concluded.

After they scampered off again, my husband and I looked at each other.  "Seriously?  Can I borrow YOUR PHONE to INVITE MYSELF over?" I said.  "How does that seem like an okay question?"

"You know, I think I expected kids to show up already thinking like adults," my husband confessed.  "I am always surprised at the things they don't get."

"Your expectations were..." I started.

"Misguided?"  he finished with a grin.




Edited: I just heard my son call his friend, "You raw turkey breast!"  Is this what the kids are saying these days, or is my kid really good at off-the-cuff invective?



5 comments:

  1. I chuckled many times throughout as this is absolutely real life. Your husbands realization that they haven't figured out how to think yet is what brings us comic relief - in parenting and teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing and your insights are hysterical. I think you should write a kids' chapter book, as your voice is so strong. Parenting does require so many reflections and compromises. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing and your insights are hysterical. I think you should write a kids' chapter book, as your voice is so strong. Parenting does require so many reflections and compromises. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, your kids sound hilarious (and exhausting). The phone borrowing thing is pretty funny. I think the kids forgot a few steps in the whole sleepover process.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me smile multiple times!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!