Friday, March 24, 2017

SOL #24: Alpine Glow

This March writing challenge is organized by Two Writing Teachers

On this morning's commute, I heard two list poems: "The Fantastic Names of Jazz" by Hayden Carruth, and "The Possessive Case" by Liesel Mueller.   I was inspired to write my own, focused on the language of Mt. Hood, a place of immense significance to my family.


Alpine Glow

Trillium Lake, Lost Lake, Mirror Lake

Cooper Spur
Illumination Rock
Tom, Dick, and Harry Ridge

Cairn Basin, Elk Cove, and Ramona Falls

McNeil Point
Eliot Glacier

Tie-in Rock, the Hogsback, the Pearly Gates, and the summit
The Bergschrund and the Steele Cliffs
White River Canyon
Langille Craigs
Cathedral Ridge

Scree, glacier, crevasse
Traverse, glissade, self arrest

Old Man of the Mountain, lupine, Indian paintbrush
Glacier lily, Avalanche lily, Tiger lily, Fawn lily
Columbine, Delphinium, vanilla leaf, oxalis

chipmunk, golden squirrel, marmot
Clarks' nutcracker, mountain chickadee, Oregon junco

Tilly Jane
Cloud Cap
Alpine glow.

3 comments:

  1. It's been such a long time since I visited Mt. Hood. I lived in Portland in the late 70's to 80's. I knew the lakes, but not all the other parts of the mountain you named. I love all the flowers, animals and birds you named. I remember Timberline Lodge and Snow Bunny and nearby Warm Springs Reservation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to visit Oregon someday. I’ve been to California and BC, but that’s as close as I’ve gotten.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever make it out here, I'll take you to Powell's!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!