Tuesday, March 21, 2017

SOL #22: Reminders

This March writing challenge is organized by Two Writing Teachers

When I see a certain type of old man, my heart gives a little lurch.  Two types, actually, that remind me of two different stages of my father's latter years.  There is the guy with wispy, wild, white hair, scrawny of elbow and knee--which you can tell because he's wearing his khaki shorts and a t-shirt.  He's definitely old, but still alert, still determined, puttering through his errands slightly off-kilter.

My parents around age 70.


The other type is frail and unfocused.  He sits in a wheelchair or leans heavily on his walker, looking slightly lost.  Busy people move around him, talk about him, schlepp him from one place to another. He's fretful, trying to get their attention to tell them something, or he's dozing in the midst of the bustle.  I can tell from across the parking lot or across the room that he's hard to talk to.  Deafness and confusion and querulousness work together to deny him easy conversation.

My dad's 80th birthday, sort of between the two stages I've described.

I could, of course, be projecting.  Physical and mental decline definitely happen with age, and the elderly men I notice have that in common with my dad.  But I also know that my dad was deeply unhappy the last few years of his life.  He missed my mom every moment of every day.  The rest of it--loss of mobility, loss of independence, loss of work and responsibility and socializing and all of that--was secondary.  The light had gone out of his life, and he was just waiting for the end.




I wonder what it's like for the old men I find myself gazing at.  Are they still balancing good days with the bad, still lighting up when certain people walk into the room, still finding new things to be amazed by?  Or have they started pulling into themselves. losing interest in the world as the world seems to lose interest in them?

Do they get enough hugs?  It seems to me now that I should have made sure my dad got enough hugs.

There's a tragedy in dying too soon, regardless of age.  When my mom died, her plans were interrupted.  She'd ordered seeds for her garden, signed up for fabric art exhibits.  She was still making new friends.  It felt so unfair for her body to stop cooperating while her spirit was still so vibrant.

Is there also a tragedy in living too long?  An hour in any long-term care facility will probably show the answer to be yes.  In the end, it doesn't truly matter which is worse, dying while you still have plans or dying after you've lost enthusiasm for life.

Your kids, it turns out, miss you either way, and still seek your face in white-haired strangers.

7 comments:

  1. what a great memory<3 so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really sad. Sorry you lost both your parents. I can’t imagine how hard that would be.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this was kind of a bummer post, but he's been on my mind a lot lately for some reason. I don't actively miss them on a day to day basis, but it's never going to be okay that they're gone, you know? They were a bit older when they had me (and I'm a lot older than you), so it's not unexpected--Mom was 78 and my dad was nearly 82. But if I were in charge, they'd both still be alive and in reasonably good shape.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful and emotional reflection about your father, aging, and life. I was moved by it and found myself thinking deeply about your last question. I think you're right, there is tragedy in outliving your ability to live well.

    Thank you. djvichos (deborah)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't quite know what to say. This is a beautiful post, and I appreciate you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a profound piece, in its beauty as well as ability to provoke. The questions are valid. The stages of life for the remaining parent real. I am most moved by your final line, however, as I find myself doing that same thing on an ongoing basis--. Best to you. maribeth batcho

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly the same thing I see/feel as well! When I see an older, tall, slightly stooped over, slow-moving gentleman, I remember my grandfather. I too wonder if there was more I should have said or done, but in the end, I know he knew how I felt about him. I didn't have very long with him, so it's hard to remember him any other way. But death, especially as our parents get older, is a difficult subject to broach. You've asked very valid and thoughtful questions about "the end," ones I'm sure others (including myself) have thought about as well. I admire the fact that you did bring this subject up and managed to do so extremely gracefully. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!