Monday, January 9, 2017

TTT: 2016 Books I Still Want to Get To



The delightful bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish host this weekly list challenge.  If you want to quadruple the size of your TBR AND find a bunch of great book blogs to follow head on over and check them out!

The topic this week is Top Ten 2016 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To (But TOTALLY plan to).


Only I have a list of twenty.  Because I read a lot?  Because I add to my TBR a lot?  Something like that.  I DID narrow it down, I'll have you know.  


Born a Crime/Trevor Noah
I've sworn off celebrity memoirs, but the angle on this one is too interesting to pass up.

Heartless/Marissa Meyer
I loved the Lunar Chronicles.  Can lightning strike twice?  Who knows, but I'm willing to give Heartless a chance.

The Sun is Also a Star/Nicola Yoon
This one I've heard mixed reviews of, but I just bought it so...I'm gonna read it.

A Gentleman in Moscow/Amor Towles
Look at me reading a grown-up book!  I actually don't know a lot about this one (which is how I like it, remember?), but I am always interested in Eastern Bloc settings.

Some Writer! The Story of E. B. White/Melissa Sweet
I've heard great things about this picture book biography.  White is a life long favorite; I read a bunch of his essays in college, and a biography a few years ago.  



Lily and Dunkin/Donna Gephart
I was so impressed with Gepharts Death by Toilet Paper, and I've met to read more of her work ever since.

Garvey's Choice/Nikki Grimes
Grimes is another author I read years ago, when I tried to be a well-read person.  A novel in verse sounds like the perfect venue for her voice.

The Reader/Traci Chee
I've actually started this one.  Yay me!  

The Memory of Things/Gae Polisner
I want to read at least ONE of the 9/11 books that came out recently, and this one has a cool cover.  

The Last Cherry Blossom/Kathleen Burkinshaw
Won it from Goodreads last summer, been meaning to read it ever since.  

Save Me a Seat/Sarah Weeks
Cross cultural friendship in the cafeteria.  It will either be glorious or like an after school special.

If I Was Your Girl/Meredith Russo
Lots of good press for this book.  As I work on my own understanding of the gender binary and those who reject it, I'm interested in the idea that being a "transgender woman" is not actually different than being "a woman"--except in having a different experience in childhood, and how society responds.

When We Collided/Emery Lord
I haven't read anything by her.  I actually thought this book had been out longer.  

Rebel of the Sands/Alwyn Hamilton
Another book I've heard great things about. and that cover--so classy!

Burn Baby Burn/Meg Medina
I got to see Medina speak on a diversity panel, and was super impressed.  The first book of hers I read was pretty good, but didn't blow me away.  I hear this one's even better.

Anna and the Swallow Man/Gavriel Savit
I already mentioned my eastern bloc fascination.  Plus, I just won this from a giveaway on It Starts at Midnight!  I have to read it now!

The Memory of Light/Francisco X. Stork
Francisco X. Stork just may have the coolest name in YA literature right now.  I loved Marcelo and the Real World, and I really want to try this one too.

Juliet Takes a Breath/Gabby Rivera
I haven't read many books with POC lesbian characters.  Plus it's set in my hometown.  

Lady Cop Makes Trouble/Amy Stewart
And here we have another book for grown-ups.  2/20 isn't bad, right?  (Actually, I think Juliet Takes a Breath is also adult fiction.)  I adored the first book in the series, and am eager to read the next installment.

Worm Loves Worm/J. J. Austrian
In the grand tradition of And Tango Makes Three, a children's picture book reminds us to STOP FREAKING THE FREAK OUT ABOUT THINGS THAT ARE PERFECTLY FREAKING NORMAL JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT "THE NORM."  

Hey, maybe what I should do with my crazy to-read shelf on Goodreads is pull 20 per year to put on a special to-read shelf.  

Or not.  That sounds like a pain, honestly.  



SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

11 comments:

  1. There are so many books that I wanted to read and didn't get to this year that this was a very hard list to make! A Gentleman in Moscow is one I really want to read as well as Lady Cop Makes Trouble. Though I still need to read Girl Waits with Gun! Heartless should be on my list but somehow I didn't realize it had already been published. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the down side of being a blogger--you find out about all these books and will never be able to read them all!

      Delete
  2. There's several I'm curious about but When We Collided looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the review copy of Some Writer so much that I mailed it to a friend in Australia to share with her!

    Here's my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I Was Your Girl is on my TBR list, too. I totally meant to read it last year, but . . . nope. I hope you get a chance to read all these!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Sun is Also a Star! I hope you get to these in 2017!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebel of The Sands is awesome, I hope you enjoy it. I also really liked Heartless as well, so I hope you enjoy that.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/top-ten-tuesday-91/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eager to see what you think of The Reader. That one SHOULD have been on my list.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhhh I love that you have 20 books on your list!! REBEL OF THE SANDS IS SO GOOD <3. I hope you get to that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are SO MANY of these I need to read. SO many. I think the only ones I read are Rebel of the Sands (which was good!) and The Memory of Things which... was not bad. (I read another 9/11 book before it, which IMO was better, so I think that is why?) But I NEED to read The Reader and The Sun is Also a Star, desperately! And I also want to read The Memory of Light and Heartless at some point. And I would read ANYTHING Trevor Noah writes, so that is a must, too! Great choices, I hope you get to read them all soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which was the 9/11 book you preferred? I'm totally open to suggestions! I know I have about six of them in my classroom library.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!