Sunday, January 8, 2017

Sunday Post #22




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

It's been awhile since I've done one of these.  Like, since early November.  Let's get to it!

Reading This Week:

Books finished: Nine

  • The Wrath and the Dawn and The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh (pleasantly surprised with the first one, somewhat underwhelmed by the sequel)
  • Princeless Vol 1: Save Yourself, Princeless Vol 2: Get over Yourself, and Princeless Stories  Vol. 1 by Jeremy Whitley (OH MY GOD THESE ARE SO AWESOME!!!)
  • Bell's Star by Allison Hart (somewhat insipid and regrettably white-savior-esque horse story I read to my daughter)
  • Bubonic Panic: When Plague Invaded America by Gail Jarrow, Ten Days a Madwoman: The Daring Life and Turbulent Times of the Original "Girl" Reporter, Nelly Bly by Deborah Noyes and The Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the Century by Sarah Miller (all of which were read as part of the Cybils judging, so I can't tell you anything about them yet, other than to point out that they all have really long subtitles)
Best: Since I can't comment on the nonfiction, I'm going to go with the Princeless series.  Hilarious, but in a seriously pissed off way that I am just adoring.  Pokes huge holes in all the tired, sexist tropes; not just in fairy tales either.

The Wrath and the Dawn did double duty for me as a Mt. TBR read and a Dumbledore's Army read.  Yay!  Also, I had fun telling my students about the Arabian Nights (starting with the Aladdin movie as a point of reference), and then hinting at the twists added in the book, and there's now a waiting list for students to read it, which is the entire point of my Mt. TBR challenge, so I'm happy.


Blogging this week:

Wait, what?  I have a blog?

So, I only posted two things this week, and they were both pretty tiny.  I looked forward at 2017 a bit, and I shared a jolly collection of quotes from a review of the latest Sherlock episode.

I did think about the blog and do some planning, after getting inspired by Shannon's post about not being organized.  Which sounds silly when I say it that way, but it's true.  

Life this week:

Back to work after two weeks off.  Super cold weather.  I always have to translate temperatures from fahrenheit to celsius when it gets below freezing, because where I grew up and live it rarely gets that cold, but when I lived in the Baltics, where I walked to work every day for the five winters I've spent there over the years, the thermometers were in celsius.  So if you tell me it's 25F or 10F, I'm not really sure what that implies, but I am quite aware of the difference between -5C (brr) and -12C (inside of your nose freezes and your breath frosts your scarf) and -15C (your eyelids stick a little when you blink).  

Oh, and after losing the center stone from my engagement ring last month,  I've now lost my phone.  Less sentimental value, less monetary pain, but its absence is more noticeable.  I hope there's not a third important loss coming up.  That's just in fairy tales, right?


Coming up:

More nonfiction, more reading from my classroom library, more diverse books for Dumbledore's Army.  My classes just started read-alouds--The War that Saved My Life and Neil Armstrong is My Uncle.  I haven't read either one before, and I'm really liking both picks so far.  I gave the kids a bunch of historical fiction.  They sorted through and chose one book to promote to the class, then they all voted.  

 I'm knitting myself a pair of fingerless mittens, because I made some for my kids for Christmas, and they were super simple, and all I can find for me in our hall closet is one fingerless mitten of my daughter's and one decrepit driving glove I've had since the Clinton administration.  

Now I've made myself sad by not being able to say, "the first Clinton administration." 

I'm working on keeping these more concise, so that's all for this week!   Enjoy your week.




SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. Great reading week you had! I hope you find your phone and your ring.

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m loving the DA Readathon so far. It gave me an excuse to read a bunch of short books and get ahead on my Goodreads goal. Good luck with finding your lost things. That’s why I’m terrified to wear expensive jewelry. I’d just lose it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to be cold for everyone this week. Hopefully it will warm up a little. Glad I'm not the only one to lose stones off my engagement ring. Fingers crossed that this week is better. Wow 9 is impressive. I was thrilled with 5 for the week. Sounds like you've had an amazing week keep it up. Have a great week and happy reading. My Sunday Post  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad not to be able to say "the first Clinton administration." It could have been great.

    Enjoy your reading...and those mittens.

    I do hate losing things!

    As for Fahrenheit vs. Celcius, my eldest son and his wife live in Prague, and when they came to visit (finally!) last year, they were always talking about the weather in those terms.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES




    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck going back to work. It's always so hard to ease back into things after a long break. I'm glad to see you enjoyed The Wrath and the Dawn (though I'm sorry book 2 was underwhelming). That series has been on my tbr for a while now. I hope you have a great week, despite the cold, and you don't lose anything else haha!

    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you find your phone. I would love to start knitting again. It sounds like something that would be perfect to do while in front of the TV. I learnt it as a child and quite liked doing it as a teenager and then never picked up my needles again and now I have no idea anymore how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so great at knitting while watching, but knitting and audiobooks are a great pair!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!