Thursday, January 12, 2017

Six Degrees of Separation: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I've seen this on Wilde on My Side, and she pointed me to Books Are My Favorite and Best as the originator.  Basically, everyone starts with the same title each month, and then using your own personal trains of thought, lead your readers through six books, one to the next to the next.  It could be authors, covers, time of life when you read the book, or any other connection that comes up in your mind.

It looks like fun, and I love this month's starter book, so I thought I'd play along.  Our starter is:



which has the word dragon in the title.  Speaking of dragons, one of the earliest feminist fairy tales features a terrific dragon too!  That would be:

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
without which we might not have modern fairy tale spoofs with strong female characters, such as:

Princeless by Jeremy Whitley
Which is a graphic novel that made me laugh out loud. (It also keeps the dragon theme going for one more degree.)   Another graphic novel that made me laugh--AND made me cry--is a memoir of the cartoonist's parents' old age and death:


This one resonated so strongly with me because I've been through my own version of that life experience with losing both of my parents.  My mom died six years ago from the day I'm writing this.  When I was in middle school and high school, I read a lot of books that she was reading.  We went on a joint Michener kick, and the one I remember the best is:


Chesapeake by James Michener
and another book that I associate with my mom, by a man named James  is:




(Enjoy the historically correct covers for each as well.  Those are the editions Mom and I read.)

I ended up far away in time, place, and most especially tone and subject matter from the heart-racing and horrifically violent starting book!  

6 comments:

  1. This is fun! I just tried to do it in my head, but I’m still stuck on step 1 . . .

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many directions to go. Dragons? Scandinavia? Hackers? Women's rights? Daniel Craig? Characters with unnamed conditions?

      Delete
  2. That sounds fun!! Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow. By the way, I'm a huge James Herriot fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so adored those books. And yes, the exercise is a lot of fun. I am eager to participate again.

      Delete
  3. Aw, I remember All Creatures Great and Small! I read the whole series as a child, when I was convinced I wanted to be a veterinarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Specifically in Yorkshire.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!