Saturday, January 14, 2017

Nervously Accepting 2017 Challenges

I say "nervously" because I am notoriously bad at follow-through on these things.  When I graduated from high school six million years ago, they had a handwriting analyst at our all night party, and she told me, "You are really good at starting things but struggle to finish all of them," and I was all, "HANDWRITING ANALYSIS IS REAL!"

I already made a list of resolutions, which has some duplication of what I'm about to list, so bear with me.





1.  Mt. TBR Challenge.  As explained here, I'm going to be reading a cubic shit-ton of books from my classroom library.  I think this is going to go well, although I do get distracted by public library books pretty frequently too.




2.  Discussion Challenge.  I just realized I didn't officially sign up this year, so hi, Nicole and Shannon!  I'm signing up!  At the lowest level, because of that follow-through thing.




3.  Goodreads Challenge.  I set mine at 200 again, since that seems to be about the pace I'm at right now.



4.  Some sort of YA Award Winners thing.  Last year I signed up for the ALA Awards Books Challenge with Anne at Wilde on My Side, but out of nine titles, I only read three of the books, plus the three I'd already read before the awards were announced.  Still, it's a worthwhile goal.  Or I could sign up to read all the Printz winners and honor books in 2017.  I've had really good luck with Printz books overall, considering I'd read a few before I even really figured out what the Printz is.  The awards will all be announced on Jan. 23, so maybe I'll take a look at the two lists then and decide which one is more appealing.

In addition, I intend to:

  • Do some posts for Nerdy Book Club
  • Participate in the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thons in April and October
  • Participate in the Slice of Life Daily Writing Challenge, also in April
  • Figure out how to attend the National Council of Teachers of English conference in St. Louis next November and lead a round-table discussion as part of the team of presenters who have received Book Love grants
  • Guest blog for a teaching blog
  • Read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to my daughter 
Now the question is, when I look back at this next year, how hard will I laugh?  





4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenges! I’ve read and reviewed all the past Printz winners. I’m eagerly awaiting this year’s winner.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one book out of 60 for Mount TBR, and it was great, but already I am distracted by other things. Well, one is better than nothing ... good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read. Then match it all up later. That's how I do it. I read a wide variety annually so,I get thru one or more challemges wthout getting all,bigger down in angst and worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. And I thought *I* was being ambitious. Mt. TBR had me cracking up. At least with books, if you don't finish it then it probably wasn't worth finishing, right?

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!