Friday, January 6, 2017

Bracingly British Phrases from The Telegraph's Review of Sherlock 4:1

We watched the latest Sherlock episode Sunday night, and then I obsessively read reviews, articles, and responses to it.  Because that's what I do.

I found this gem in The Telegraph online.  It is just so...unabashedly British.  Now, if you're from there, this might be puzzling.  But for Americans, it's sheer delight to read things like:

  • lutrine visage  (I had to look up lutrine.  You can too.  It's fun!)
  • clever-clogsness
  • wandered off the set of an Ealing comedy (I don't actually know what this implies.  Can anyone enlighten me?)
  • poor old sexless duffer
  • clever but not clever-clever
  • bonus term: iconoclasticism  Not a British-ism per se, but not a word ones stumbles across all that often.  
The whole experience made my Anglophile heart happy.  

Ooh, and the show!  There are questions that are meant to be questions, like Why does Mary say "Go to hell, Sherlock" at the end of her video message, or Did he or didn't he actually cheat?  But I'm also still befuddled by something that was part of the mystery of the week--how the hell did Sherlock know to go to the aquarium?  Had we even seen the secretary before?

The other show I've been watching* is Miss Fisher's Mysteries.  I love it, but I don't quite buy it-her attitudes seem anachronistic even for a free spirit.  

*And by "I've been watching," I mean I stayed up until 3 am one night watching about six episodes, and haven't watched any since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!