Thursday, December 22, 2016

Winter Break, with Carl Larsson illustrations

What I'm enjoying this break:

1.  Two extra days, courtesy of a small amount of snow that threw my city into complete chaos.  Not kidding either--kids were at school until 6, 8, even midnight because neither buses nor families could get to them. But then we got the last two days before break off.






2.  I was wondering why it felt like I was getting so much more done than I did over Thanksgiving break, even though it's been less total time, then I realized--it's because I'm not sick!  Yay!



3.  I've gotten to see one of my friends two times.  We used to be work spouses, but this is her second year in another district, so we've gone from seeing each other daily to seeing each other rarely.  But she was able to stop by for a couple of hours the other day, then we met up for coffee while out doing our holiday errands yesterday.



4.  Christmas cookie baking day at my sister's!  Growing up, we'd have a day or two during which we'd make several different types of cookies that were only for this time of year.  I continue to make several of these, but I'm the only major cookie fan in my household, so I don't do it to the full extent we did back then.  Last year my sister asked all her female relatives over to bake, but my kid had strep, so we didn't go.  This year we went, and it was so much fun.  We came home with ten different types of cookies, including krumkake, which I haven't made in probably 25 years, since I don't have a pan.



5. I haven't been staying up ridiculously late, which means I've been waking up between 7:00 and 8:00.  I come downstairs and sit by the tree.  Then my daughter wakes up, and comes down and sits next to me.  We snuggle under a blanket, and put a yule log video on the laptop.  It's a wonderful way to start the day.


6.  I've been doing a decent job at not spending all day online.  (The kids, not so much.)  Knitting, reading, shopping, baking, visiting, crafting, Scrabble, puzzles.

Okay, off to make some tea, toast an English muffin, and read!

I hope you're getting some good relaxing in this week as well.




3 comments:

  1. It would be fun to have a cookie party! I made some by myself but it felt like more of a chore. If only my siblings didn't live on the other coast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures. I’ve also been getting a lot of reading done lately because I’m trying to spend less time on the computer during the holidays. Sometimes I need a break from the Internet. Happy holidays!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this post, complete with Carl Larsson art, then RIGHT AFTERWARDS read Midwinterblood, not knowing ahead of time that he's basically a character in it! Such a deliciously weird coincidence.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!