Friday, December 30, 2016

Reflecting on 2016 in Books: Part Two--Best of the Best

For part one of this year-end reflection, in which I look at all my data (and I do mean ALL; brace yourself), see here.

I didn't participate in the top ten link-up around this topic, partly because I was doing Christmasy things with my family--like eating and sleeping and reading and baking and visiting and playing Scrabble--but partly because ten? Are you kidding me?

Then I saw that some people did 16, for 2016, or did "best of" in various categories, and I thought, oh yeah right.  I DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES!

So here are my favorite books I read in 2016, in different groups and categories.

Favorite Books that are on Everyone Else's List Too, Probably, Unless They Were On Their List Last Year, Because I'm Kind of Late to the Party

Six of Crows
More Happy Than Not
The Serpent King
Salt to the Sea
A Darker Shade of Magic
The Crossover
I'll Give You the Sun
We Were Liars


Favorite Books that I Read as a Cybils Judge of YA Fiction

Every Last Word
The Truth Commission
How It Went Down


Favorite Middle Grade Books, Since I Teach Middle School and Might Want to Stop Shoving PG-13 Books at my Seventh Graders

Rain, Reign
A Night Divided
Stella by Starlight
Death by Toilet Paper
Orbiting Jupiter
Snow White: A Graphic Novel
Goodbye, Stranger
All the Broken Pieces
The Seventh Wish


Favorite Nonfiction

H is for Hawk
Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant
Symphony for the City of the Dead


Favorite Books for Grown-Ups

The Trespasser
Furiously Happy
Columbine


Favorite Authors to Binge on This Year

V. E. Schwab
Chris Crutcher
Brian K. Vaughan

Best Surprises, Because I Went in with Low Expectations, But They Were As Great As People Said They Would Be

Exit, Pursued by a Bear
Boy 21
Marcelo in the Real World
Porcupine of Truth
The Girl With All the Gifts
Code Name Verity
Carry On

Books That I Gave Four Stars To, But I Have No Idea Why I Didn't Give Them Five, Because I Remember Loving Them

One Plus One
We Were Liars
Wild Things
Since You'll Never Meet Me
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Antsy Does Time
Lockdown
King of the Mild Frontier

Made Me Cry

I'll Meet You There
The Serpent King
Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?
Code Name Verity


Made Me Laugh

Carry On
The Haters
King of the Mild Frontier
Furiously Happy
Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
Play Me Backwards
Six of Crows
Since You've Been Gone
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?
Antsy Does Time
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Diversity Done Right

Highly Illogical Behavior
The Unlikely Hero of Room 13-B
The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal (Um, NOT YA.  Just to warn you.)
Home At Last
No Crystal Stair
Fatty Legs
When I Was the Greatest
My Seneca Village
The Shadow Hero

Picture Books I Adore

This is Sadie
They All Saw a Cat
The Black Dog


8 comments:

  1. I considered breaking the rules on Top Ten Tuesday, but I ended up being a conformist because I didn’t have time to write a huge post. Furiously Happy and More Happy Than Not made my list.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fun and creative categories---like "Books That I Gave Four Stars To, But I Have No Idea Why I Didn't Give Them Five, Because I Remember Loving Them." It's so interesting to look back at your ratings and reflect on how you feel about them months later.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked We Were Liars too. I also gave it four stars, but now think it deserved more because I keep thinking about how much I liked it. Great minds (or indecisive minds) think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved I'll Give You the Sun and Code Name Verity. My MG all-time favourite is The Game by Diana Wynne Jones. The school library's copy is so worn because I keep recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read I'll Give You the Sun this year too and it was one of my top books ever. I also loved The Serpent King. Thanks for the post and I want to read many of the books on your lists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These categories are awesome! I haven't read any of the Favourite Books that are on Everyone Else's List, so I'm even later to the party than you are. I have Code Name Verity and Carry On on my TBR, so I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, there are so many I haven't heard of before so my TBR list is going to explode.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought the Six of Crows audiobook a while back when it was Audible's daily deal. I really need to get a move on, and listen to it already!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!