Saturday, December 10, 2016

I'm Joining Dumbledore's Army!

The Read-a-Thon, that is.  Not the one where they had to actually physically risk their lives.

Aentee at Read at Midnight has developed this fantastic challenge to get us all reading more diverse books, expecially #ownvoices titles.  And she's made it FUN.  Very un-"eat your broccoli it's good for you," and more "broccoli with cheese sauce!"

There are house points and spell names and adorable graphics she'll let you borrow.  It takes place the first two weeks of January.  She spells it out really well on her blog, so head over there if you're interested!  Also, Naz at Read Diverse Books has a superb sign-up post in which he shares dozens and dozens of possible titles, so if you're feeling at a loss for any of the categories, you can count on Naz for help.

Without further ado...



I'm in.  And yes, I'm Hufflepuff, although with delusions of Ravenclaw.

As for my TBR for this challenge, I'll put down a "probable" and a "possible" for each category, as I don't do very good at being locked in to reading a particular thing at a particular time.



I count myself lucky to not have lost a loved one to suicide, but there have been close calls, and depression will always be a potentially fatal influence over two people I love.  So that's what I focused these choices on.

The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

OR: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides.
This book doesn't sound as directly relevant, but I really loved Middlesex.




I thought of Muslims, or Africans, or transgender characters, and then I thought--I don't remember EVER reading a bi character.  I could be wrong, but obviously I haven't read many if I can't even think of one.  Thus:

Far from You by Tess Sharpe

OR: Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz




Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
I've wanted to read more by him every since falling in love with Aristotle & Dante last year, and a book of short stories might be helpful mid-read-a-thon.

OR Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
A book of essays would work too.






Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera
Black lesbian feminist--intersectionality, here we come. Also, set in my hometown.

OR We Should All be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie





Once Upon a Quiceañera by Julia Alvarez has been on my TBR since I started a Goodreads account in 2009, and I JUST tracked down a copy for my classroom.  Like, it arrived yesterday.

No OR for this one.  I am going to read this book, dammit.






If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

OR Born a Crime by Trevor Norah




The Wrath and the Dawn by Reneé Ahdieh
Nobody recommended it specifically to me, but I feel like the entire internet has recommended it overall.

 OR Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow
Again, not actually pushed on me in particular, but Shannon wrote a favorable review of it during her Shattering Stigmas event over at It Starts at Midnight.  




And there we have it!  I don't know how much time I'll have to read, since it's also Cybils Judging Season, but these are all books I'm excited about.  (Now I just have to not run off and read them all before the event begins.)  Are you signing up?  What books are on your list?


5 comments:

  1. I’m doing this, too! I’ve never done a readathon before, so we’ll see how well it works out. The only book on your list I’ve read is The Wrath & The Dawn. I didn’t like it. Too much romance, not enough wrath.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put "Does My Head Look Big In This?" for Reducto, then I saw you didn't care for it, so I found a different one. But I am feeling the internet pressure to at least attempt TW&TD, so I'll carry on.

      Delete
  2. I loved Girl in Pieces!!!! If you don't read it for this challenge, definitely pick it up sometime!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic challenge! I've been trying to give myself less structured reading in December (I've been feeling the pressure lately), but I'll have to tweet about this to help spread the word!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't go live until January--just sayin'.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!