Monday, December 12, 2016

I'm Climbing Mountains!

In which I tell you even more about books I hope/plan/intend to read in 2017.

Mt. Hood from the air



I used to actually climb mountains, can you believe it?  Nothing super hard or remotely technical, but I've been up Mt. Hood twice, South Sister three times, and one time each up Middle Sister, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Elinore.  Now I get out of breath going upstairs.  I blame it on the kids, but it's not really their fault, other than the whole "suck up all of the parents' time and energy" factor.

Me and my boots


But for now, at this point in my life, climbing a huge Mt. TBR is right up my alley.  I saw Lory's sign-up post on The Emerald City Book Review,  and it sounded interesting, so I checked out Bev's challenge on My Reader's Block.  Then I went through Goodreads and Classroom Booksource and identified all of the books I have added to my classroom library in the past two years that I REALLY  want to read, but haven't yet.

And that's almost 140 books.

North side of Mt. Hood


Granted, they are all MG or YA books, and several are graphic novels.  Also, I'm up to 216 books this year, so I could certainly read all of those books and still have room for new books, sequels, impulse reads, adult books, etc.

On the summit of Hood with my dad, ca. 1984


But to win the challenge--to "summit," if you will--you have to at least climb the mountain you signed up for.  And you can always hike on to a new mountain if you realize you still have the stamina and daylight.  (I'm taking this metaphor as far as I can.)  So instead of signing up for the Mt. Olympus on Mars challenge and committing to reading all of them plus a few others from my home shelves, I'm going to scale it back to El Toro, and commit to reading at least 75 books from that list.  (Though I'm secretly hoping to make it to Everest level and knock off 100 titles.)

The whole list is on a Goodreads shelf, and I'll add the first 25 from that list here.


  • Gracefully, Grayson by Ami Polonski
  • Period 8 by Chris Crutcher
  • Tyrell by Coe Booth
  • All American Boys by Jason Reynolds
  • Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgewick
  • Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller
  • Ruby on the Outside by Nora Raleigh Baskin
  • None of the Above by I. W. Gregorio
  • The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
  • Camp Midnight by Steven Seagle
  • Heartless by Marissa Meyer
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices by Mitali Perkins
  • Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
  • Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff
  • If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
  • Zebra Forest by Adine Rishe Gewirtz
  • Lily RenĂ©e, Escape Artist by Trina Robbins
  • Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead
  • An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
  • Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos
  • Around the World by Matt Phelan
  • Salt: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War by Helen Frost
  • 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith
  • Keesha's House by Helen Frost

These are all books I'm really looking forward to, and I think it's a good mix of content, from longer novels to quick reads, from escapist fantasy to painfully topical contemporaries.

I'll see you on the trails!

4 comments:

  1. I love the mountain climbing photos! I’ve climbed some mountains, too, but none of them were very impressive. I’ll have to check out this challenge. I have about 40 books sitting on my TBR shelf right now.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do something like this too. I tried doing the Shelf Love Challenge this year, but without specific books in a list that I wanted to read, I found myself putting those backlist books off to the side. I need to do better!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but I don't think I've read any of the books on this list! How can that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't read any of them either! :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!