Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Sunday Post #19




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week: 3 books

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.  I read this on the Serial App, bit by bit, and on one hand, every time the narrator mentions it being the nineteenth century, I was a little startled, because in many ways his voice sounds so modern.  On the other hand, I think I read this decades ago and found it very amusing.  Now--I don't think it got more than a smirk from me the entire time.  It is oddly written--part tall tales, part travelogue, part patriotic celebration, with a heavy handedly unreliable narrator.  I think being unique is part of its charm, but there's not much else to add to it.

The Sledding Hill and King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised Autobiography by Chris Crutcher.  I am clearly on a Crutcher kick, inspired in large part by his cantankerous passionate Facebook posts in the weeks leading up to the election.  His autobiography revealed the truth-behind-the-story of many characters and incidents in both The Sledding Hill and Stotan!.  I hope to put together a review soon of the interplay between the three books.  


I've finally started Robin LaFever's Grave Mercy and am enjoying it very much, although so far nothing too unusual stands out in the plot.  

Blogging this week:

Only four posts--in addition to a super quick TTT in which I screenshot the most recent additions to my Goodreads TBR, I shared my very first infographic, which I put together for my students after we finished Orbiting Jupiter.  I also tried out a new-to-me linkup called Diversity Spotlight Thursday, sharing three titles by and about Mexican Americans: one I've read, one I plan to read, and one that's not released yet.  Finally, in still more teacher eagerness, I shared pictures of the cool blackout poetry my students did after finishing our book.  

Life this week:

Last Sunday I went to a party at a resale shop that benefits a homeless shelter in downtown Portland.  I shared a dressing room with my oldest friend and her dog, and wound up with two skirts, a sweater, a jacket, and some jeans for about $55 total.  

I'm glad I started off the week on that high, because the rest of the week--well, you know.  I can't decide if the wise thing is to trust in our system of checks and balances and give the man a chance to lead before I start complaining, or if the wise thing is to avoid complacency and divide my time between volunteering to support refugees and women's shelters, donating to mid-term campaigns, and researching Canadian citizenship (which I am actually entitled to, since my dad was born there and became a naturalized US citizen during a time period in which dual citizenships weren't allowed).  

I had an eye appointment Thursday and have an order in for my very first pair of glasses.  Ah, the joys of aging.  I also forgot my purse at home on Thursday, which I discovered WHEN I WENT TO PAY FOR MY COFFEE AT THE DRIVE-THROUGH WINDOW, and the girl very graciously let me just take it anyway.  

I celebrated Veteran's Day by taking my kids out and spending a bunch more money.  Graphic novels for my classroom, new boots for me, and lunch for all of us.  I took them to the Starbucks that had covered my coffee and tried to pay them back, but they said not to worry about it.  Since I would normally NOT spend the kind of money we did for that lunch, I don't feel too guilty.  Ironically, I'm one of those people who usually refuse to go to Starbucks because a) I prefer supporting local businesses, and b) their coffee tastes burnt to me.  But kudos to them for nice customer service on that one.  





2 comments:

  1. I liked Grave Mercy a lot, although I didn't actually read the sequels. It kinda worked as a standalone for me, although I'm sure there were unresolved threads. It's been a couple of years so I'm not sure. As for the election, yeah that's tough. I do think potentially our checks and balances system could be sorely tested, maybe in more subtle ways than is now apparent, but we'll see. I don't think you're the only one who has wondered about the joys of Canada lol.

    Glad you had a good vets Day! Have a super week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always meant to read Three Men in a Boat. Next year!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!