Saturday, November 26, 2016

Sunday Post #21




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week: 4 books

I totally thought I would get a ton of reading done, as I've been off all week.  However, I've also been sick all week.  Nothing serious, but enough that I kept falling asleep when I'd try to read for too long. 

  • I finished up Robin LaFevers' His Fair Assassin series with Mortal Heart, which I didn't like as much as the second book in the series.  
  • I got my hands on Paper Girls Vol. 1.  I really like pretty much every comics series Brian K. Vaughan has been involved in, but I wish more of them were complete so I could read them all at once.  I was raised on novels, not TV, so the start-and-stop of an episodic series drives me nuts.
  • Next week my students are starting Lit Circles (which I'm calling Book Club because "lit" means something different to them).  I've read all the books I let them choose from except one, so I went ahead and read Call Me Hope early this week.  It's about verbal abuse, which is important and unexplored territory, but it's also MG, complete with ridiculously easy resolution at the end.  Bonus: I didn't realize that it was set in rural Oregon, so that will be cool for my students too.
  • Easily best of the week: Tana French's The Trespasser.  I was so excited when my hold came in at the library!  And it completely lived up to my enthusiasm.
Still listening to Pillars of the Earth, and just started reading Like a River Glorious.  I have slipped up and have about 50 books out from my school and public libraries right now.  Bad Wendy.  

Blogging this week:

Also not very productive.  I posted twice.  One was about books I recommend to build empathy and awareness.  In a fit of alliteration, I called it Tales for Troubling Times.  The other is a whole-series review for His Fair Assassin.  It just seemed that since I read all of them more or less back-to-back, I should share my thoughts.  

Life this week:



Ah, life.  I was off all week, and my kids had school the first two days, but like I said, Monday was a miserable nap-a-thon.  Tuesday my husband and I rallied enough to go out for lunch together and play some Scrabble.  The two of us have also been re-watching Harry Potter movies together.  Our kids still get too scared for the later movies (which we found out during Goblet of Fire when they're in the maze, and my kids suddenly discovered that it was bed time, good night!).  

We did our annual Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's.  All month I've been feeling lucky to not be worried about political talk at family gatherings, since we're both from actively liberal families, but my sister-in-law's mom was visiting from the midwest, and she started talking about Trump during grace, while we all started in polite horror.  She's a lovely old lady, and she's going through a lot right now (she's out here because one of her sons is dealing with both physical and mental illnesses that I wouldn't wish on, well, Trump himself), and this side of the family is excruciatingly polite, so we went with a quick and decisive change of topic.  

Between dinner and dessert I did my customary craft project with the kids, which somehow fed into this lady asking me if I'd put together a scrapbook of her son's get well cards for him.  My poor sister-in-law was trying to head her off'--"Mom, she's really busy with her kids and work too"--but she had this idea in her head that it would be a matter of minutes for me.  I actually like the odd spot of scrapbooking, and figure it's something I can do to support their family while they support the guy who's sick.  

Yesterday we went bowling with the in-laws and I was hilariously bad.  Today (Saturday) I took the kids to a Latvian Christmas bazaar and then they both got drastic haircuts.  Sunday I'm having breakfast with my oldest group of friends, then we're going to sit on someone's sofa and make a bunch of phone calls or write letters or something political along those lines.  Then it's back to the real world on Monday.
SaveSave

3 comments:

  1. I missed Thanksgiving because I was sick, but that’s probably a good thing. I wasn’t around for all the political arguments. Everyone in my family voted for someone different, and we’re all very opinionated about it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first LaFevers book, but not the sequels. I'll have to go o ver and read your review. And I'd like to read Paper Girls. I need to get to it. Sorry to hear you were sick, hopefully you're feeling better now!

    I've been hearing a lot about Thanksgiving and political discussions this year, and I imagine there have been a lot of families where there were somewhat tense discussions! Glad yours didn't get out of hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have Paper Girls from the library, but I haven't read it yet! I need to get to it as soon as possible! Yeah, I know how horrifying it is for relatives to talk about politics at the table, but luckily you changed the subject ahead of time! :D Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!


    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!