Wednesday, November 2, 2016

October Wrap Up



My Reading

Books read: 23

Read-alouds

Not a lot happening on this front these days.  I'm participating in the Global Read-Aloud, and reading Orbiting Jupiter to my classes for that.  Otherwise, all I've read aloud are picture books here and there.

Meh. Not for me

  • Gone Fishing
  • One Death, Nine Stories
  • Thor: Goddess of Thunder, Vol. 1
  • The Third Twin

Mildly Disappointing. Didn't live up to my hopes for it


  • We Are the Ants
  • Honor Girl
  • A Study in Scarlet

Wow! Good books I'd recommend


  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Humans of New York: Stories
  • 12 Rounds to Glory: The Story of Mohammed Ali
  • Maggot Moon
  • One Came Home
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • Don't Pigeonhole Me

Wow, wow, wow!  Great books that I absolutely think you should read.


  • We Were Liars
  • More Happy Than Not
  • I'll Give You The Sun
  • Crooked Kingdom
  • One Plus One
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger

Assorted Stats

This is for all of 2016 to date.
Love me my library.  Also, my classroom library ROCKS now that I got that grant!

I always wonder if our reading skews towards our own sex.  Mine has for years.

I suck.  Still working on it though.

My Writing

I wrote 19 posts this month, which is on the high end of average for me.  I wrote several during last week's Read-a-Thon, but then didn't write any for a week afterwards.  I sort of lost the routine I was working on in September of spending a chunk of my Saturdays at the library working strictly on blog posts, although I'm using some time when my daughter has 3 hour classes every other week to get at least one post done.

In related news, I shared with my husband the fact that Leigh Bardugo has just gotten a "seven figure advance" for her next two novels, and he said, "See?  You should write a book!"  Which is kind of like telling someone who sometimes plays HORSE with their friends that they should join the NBA.  I like to write, but I don't have any story ideas.

I've been mystified a few times recently by authors who say in their acknowledgements or on panels or wherever that their story "started out as a murder mystery about a boy who thinks he's a tree, then morphed into being a western set in 1912 Montana, and finally became the fantasy romance you have here."  Like, what?  How does that even make sense?

But back to me.  :)  My most viewed post was the wrap-up for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon.  If you haven't participated in this yet, you definitely should.  It is a ton of fun.  Literally. Two thousand pounds of fun.  And it's super flexible, which I really appreciate.  You can push yourself to actually stay up and read for 24 hours, or you can just read in whatever free moments you have during your normal Saturday.  You can be super active and involved in various social media platforms, or you can cut yourself off and focus on the books.  Whatever you want!


I wrote a few grouped reviews--one on graphic novel memoirs, and another on novels in verse.  I also posted about seeing four authors, including Leigh Barudgo, at the Fierce Reads tour when they stopped at Powell's.

Basically, the more popular the link-up, the more views I get.  Anything I just write and post without connecting is viewed by two very few people.


IRL

I'd say we're in something of a rhythm right now.  The kids have settled into school and their routines.  Fall conferences were mostly positive, which believe me, is not a given around here.  So that was pretty exciting.  The weather is very fall-like, or as I tell my students, "Great weather for reading!"  Last week saw some major changes in my class schedule, but I think it will all smooth out well and leave me with some great groups of students to work with.  One of my most resistant readers is on chapter three of a book he chose from a stack I found for him at our school library, and it makes me want to weep with joy.   Other kids are slowly starting to USE the "To-Read" lists I make them keep, so instead of, "I don't know what to read next, can you help me?" I'm getting, "Where is the copy of Ruby on the Outside?" and "I've finished all of April Henry's books, what other mystery authors would you suggest?"  

My house is a mess and I still have post-concussion ringing in my ears, but if those are my biggest complaints right now, I know how lucky that makes me. 





2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a successful October. I’m always impressed by how much you read. I only read 8 books in October and watched a ton of TV. I have read some of the books you mention in this post. I was also hugely underwhelmed with One Death, Nine Stories. I wrote about one of the stories (the Ellen Hopkins one) in a research paper and then gave my copy of the book to a classroom library. I loved More Happy than Not, Minnow Bly, and I’ll Give You The Sun. Such awesome books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll Give You the Sun is one of my favorite books. I've been wanting to read Last Seen Leaving and I'm happy to read you recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!