Thursday, November 17, 2016

Diversity Spotlight Thursday: Autism

"Diversity Spotlight Thursday" is a lovely new meme put together by Aimal of Bookshelves & Paperbacks.  The set-up is pretty simple: each week you post one book you've read, one on your TBR, and and upcoming release.  All of these, clearly, should fall under the umbrella term "diverse," with special emphasis on "own voices."

This week I'm focusing on Autism.

A Book I've Read and Recommend:

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork



This is quite possibly my favorite book cover of all time.  Pair that with a terrific author name, and I had to at least give this one a try.  

Marcelo seems to be somewhere on the autism spectrum, and has found ways to both compensate for and capitalize on his differences.  He has people that love and understand him.

His father is not one of them.  (At least, not the "understand" part.)  Dad forces Marcelo to spend a summer working the mail room at his high-powered law office.  There, Marcelo discovers a whole lot more than he bargained for about friendship, romance, betrayal, family ties, and the human condition.  The first person narration brings you right into Marcelo's way of seeing and interacting with the world, and it's an unforgettable experience.


A book on my TBR

Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

I've yet to read anything by this author (and her name of course reminds me of ice cream), but I have a few of her books on my to-read list.  In this book, an autistic boy makes an on-line friend, but isn't sure what she'll think if she gets to know him IRL.  



An upcoming book Another book on my TBR

I didn't know of upcoming books that dealt specifically with this theme, but I have plenty on my TBR, so I decided to just try to find a reasonably recent one.  

The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen Year Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida, translated from the Japanese by K. A. Yoshida and David Mitchell

If I understand the Goodreads summary correctly, this book is in Q&A format, answering questions that Higashida has heard or suspects people might want to know about his life and his perspective on things.  I don't feel like I've read much about individuals with differences or disabilities from non-western voices, so that just doubles my interest in this book.  



SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Marcelo sounds fantastic---I'm going to have to try to get my hands on that one. And, like you, I love the idea of a non-Western take on autism. Very intriguing!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reviewing In a Different Key a nonfiction book on autism on Monday. The Japanese book is very interesting--I'll try to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!