Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Sick Book Tag

It's Friday afternoon, I'm in the library, and I'm in the mood for a book tag.  It took me the longest time work out why they were called that--I was thinking tag as in label, not as in "you're it!"  Despite never being tagged, I enjoy the process of fulfilling the requirements for them, and what with the gloomy weather and change-of-season colds going around, I thought I'd play along with the Sick Book Tag, which I discovered on the Grnger in Fanland blog.  It doesn't appear to be functioning any more, but the tag is lovely all the same.  In a sick way, of course!

Diabetes: A book too sweet, like, really sweet.
Absolutely Almost is a very sweet book, and as far as being too sweet--well, it has that MG vibe of maybe wrapping everything up a bit too neatly.

Chicken Pox: a book you've read once, and will never pick up again
I read The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy--The Shocking Inside Story, Ann Rule's first true crime book, shortly after its 1980 publication.  I was in 8th or 9th grade, and I never picked up a hitchhiker after that--and I never read another true crime novel.  Ick.

Influenza: a contagious book that spreads like a virus
Viruses are bad, but I am SO HAPPY to see Crooked Kingdom debuting at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List for YA.

The Cycle:a book you read every month, year, or every so often
I first taught Gary Paulsen's short novel Nightjohn in 1998, and every few years I find reason to share it with a new group of students.  It is so powerful in its direct indictment of the institution of slavery, but also in its equally impassioned portrayal of the importance of literacy.

Insomnia: a book that kept you up all night.
This Savage Song and The Serpent King both kept me up far past my bedtime recently.  I distinctly remember reading all night once in my twenties, and I remember that I was listening to The Cranberries, but I don't actually remember what the book was!

Amnesia: a book that is forgotten and failed to leave a powerful impression 
I went back a year in my Goodreads account and looked for a book I'd forgotten I even read.  What I found was Holly Black's Coldest Girl in Coldtown.

Asthma: a book that took your breath away
This is a weird tag, I'm realizing, because sometimes it asks you to associate positive books with negative illnesses, but other times it's negative with negative.  Anyway, I came across This is Sadie in the library last winter, and fell in love with its celebration of imagination and reading.  I've been looking for my own copy ever since.

Malnutrition: a book that lacked food for thought
I just read The Third Twin, which was an okay-ish YA thriller.  Nothing memorable though.

Travel Sickness: a book that took you on a journey through time and space
All of them?  Because that's what books are for?

Okay, fine, I'll narrow it down.  Ursula Le Guin's Malafrena is glorious historical fiction set in an imaginary central European country.  Cloud Atlas covers both time and space, for sure.  Salt to the Sea brings you straight into war-torn Europe.  And reading Six of Crows and, yes, Crooked Kingdom (again!) dumps you straight into Ketterdam every time.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, has everything become a tag? I’ve never seen this one before. It’s very strange. I haven’t read any of the books you mentioned, but I agree that Crooked Kingdom is the influenza book right now. Everybody but me is reading it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amusing tag. Glad you shared. Speaking of The Serpent King, I was able to meet Jeff Zentner this weekend, and he is delightful. He is a great conversationalist, and I so can't wait to read his next novel! Side note - I also got my book from you in the mail this weekend - apparently it was a big weekend for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool to meet him! And oh my gosh; I'm so sorry I was such a flake about that book. I hope you like it!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!