Saturday, October 22, 2016

Read-a-Thon Check-In #1: 2 cups of coffee and one book!


1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I'm in Beaverton, Oregon, which means I had a 5 am start.  Nice to get going before the rest of the family is up, even though I had a short night (due in part to my Christmas-morning anticipation, which made it hard to sleep!).

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Hard to say, but I'll say More Happy Than Not, because I've gotten so many recommendations for it.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
I'm still a sucker for the Fleur de Sal caramels from Trader Joe's.  Also the roasted red pepper and tomato soup.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a middle school reading teacher, and am focusing this RAT on books in my classroom library, so I can do a better job at matching kids to them.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I didn't have a focus last time, which was my first time.  I also struggled a bit with juggling the social side with the reading, so this time I made myself a Google Doc for quick tracking, and have decided to only really dive into posting and reading others' posts between books.


COMPLETED: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.  So, I knew there was a twist, and I STILL didn't see that coming.  Even though I'm seen similar twists in other works.  I even teared up a bit.  I do like how Lockhart dives into this super rich, super white, super privileged world, but doesn't just acknowledge it, she challenges it.  With the talk about #WNDB and #ownvoices, I think this is a really interesting example of how you can write your own experience as a white person of privilege without erasing the rest of the world.

And I also completed an entire bag of Caramel Bites--little wafer/caramel cookies from Trader Joe's.  Breakfast of Champions.  (I started with some Greek yogurt with cereal in it, so I have had some protein too.)  

OBSERVATIONS:
The family is all still asleep, though I expect the kids will be up soon.  It was pitch black when I started, and I'm curled up on the couch under a blanket with my stack of books and cup of coffee on the coffee table nearby.  It looks like it's going to be a grey, wet day here in the NW, but for all that, the window I can see offers me a view of bright green grass, red maple leaves, and golden oak and grapevine leaves.  Maybe I'll take a walk later on.





1 comment:

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!