Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sunday Post #14




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week:  

It's actually been awhile since I posted, so it's sort of a half-month summary.  I've finished reading seven books and listening to one.  



Salt to the Sea is easily the best, but I also really enjoyed Saga Vol. 6, Constable & Toop, and A Game for All the Family.  

I've been taking my husband's car to work whenever possible for the simple reason that it has a CD player, which means I can listen to books while I commute.  Except sometimes I get overly excited about the book and grab a print copy and finish it at home.  (That's what happened with Salt to the Sea.  I started listening to it in the car last Friday morning, started reading the book at lunch, listened on the way home, and finished the book that night!)  

Blogging this week:

Kinda didn't happen.  I shared a few pictures yesterday, and that was it.  Surprise hiatus is the best hiatus?  I did have a post up at Nerdy Book Blog last week, which was cool.  I was proud of myself because I had the idea and queried them about it, then wrote it and submitted it.  It made me feel all professional to do it in that order.  

Life this week:

Two weeks ago I took an epic fall and gave myself a concussion.  Last week was kind of hard.  I was wiped out all the time and not focusing very well, and I dropped a few balls by accident and put some, like blogging, down on purpose.  

This week has gone much better.  I'm feeling back to normal and have made it through my days nap-free, which is definitely an accomplishment.  The last round of Booklove Foundation grant books came in, which was extremely exciting, as it had some of my most-anticipated titles.  My daughter and I went to see Carl Hiassan speak at Powell's on Tuesday, which I'll post about this week.  


A definite highlight of my week was a student telling me today, "Mrs. Gassaway, I'm so mad at you!  I don't even LIKE reading, but I love this book, and I keep wanting to find out what's going to happen next!"  The book in question is something I grabbed for two bucks at Goodwill because the cover looked "scary," which is what my students are forever requesting I get more of.  Since kids are placed into my classes because they test as reading well below grade level, I celebrate every positive reading experience.  

I'm also trying to get ready for the Global Read Aloud event next month.  I'll be reading Gary D. Schmidt's Orbiting Jupiter to my classes, and we're going to be connecting with classes in Ohio, New York, and Sweden who are reading the same book on the same schedule.  I'm feeling underprepared, but I know the book is a winner, and I think whatever we manage to pull off in terms of inter-school communication will be icing on the cake.  

It's been kind of weird not posting and not having time/energy to even read much online.  I'm excited to get back to it though.  



SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your concussion! Yikes. And that's awesome about your reading student- must be a good feeling every time a kid finds a book they love. Especially if they're not normally readers. What is it about being young and liking scary reads? I did too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that sounds terrible that you got a concussion! I'm glad you're feeling better now though. And that's so awesome and must feel so rewarding that your student is excited about the book!

    I actually didn't like Saga Vol. 6 that much :-/ I mean, I liked it, but not nearly as much as the others.

    Anyway, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you’re feeling better. It’s also awesome that your student found a great book. When I was a kid, I only wanted to read scary books because those are the best kind. Do you have The Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz in your library? That was one of my favorites. The editions published in the 1980s-1990s are much better than the editions being published currently.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better! What an awesome teacher you are to find what your students like and get them reading :) I love hearing those stories!!! Kids do not read enough these days with all the technology that is available to them. *high five* Hope you have a great week.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Gary Schmidt! What an amazing person! I'll be curious to hear how your Carl Hiassen event went.....mine wasn't stellar when I saw him, and I was so disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to share that book with a student who appreciates! I bet that made you feel great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!