Saturday, August 20, 2016

Sunday Post #12




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week: 2 books

I read a lot of 3 star books in July, but August has been ON FIRE.  (Also, super hot weather, but that's not what I meant.)

The Girl With All The Gifts is one I picked up with my birthday money.  It was WEIRD and I LOVED it.  You don't get a lot of fresh dystopias this day, but this one pulled it off.  Plus, zombies, which I've never been that interested in reading about.  They were well done.  

I read Noggin online as a free read from the Riveted site.  Hilarious.  He took this nutso set-up and went with it, all the way.  Sweet friendships, even if one was an insta-friendship, which is not much more likely than insta-love.  







Blogging this week:

Read less, blogged more.  Well, posted more.  Mostly lists though.  And I just spent a few hours doing some remodeling around here, because the reality is, colorful backgrounds make it harder for me to read, so why was I subjecting others to that?   

For the TTT I returned to Oregon, my home state.  I also shared the long version of a list of great books for teen girls I put together for a young woman I know who turned 13 this weekend. (The list would also work for teen guys and for adults, but my target audience was a specific person who's a teen girl.)  And since I've been super busy this week, I posted a bunch of pictures of what I've been up to just so you wouldn't feel sad and neglected. I also am sneaking in the Olympics Tag while it's still mildly relevant.  

I spent some time adding Goodreads shelves too; things that it's been bugging me to not be able to classify books as. Of course, I don't really want to go back in and re-shelve all the books I've already logged, but at least I can move forward with more categories.

Life this week:

Hoo boy.  Last week of summer break.  So of course, I had a 4 hour meeting with the school's Equity Team to help plan our PD presentation next week.  The first of my Booklove Foundation Grant books arrived at school, and I schlepped all 200 pounds of books down to my classroom.  I'm getting a new room this year, and there were about 35 chair/desks to move into the hall as well as various other pieces of furniture that didn't make it to their final destination over the summer.  My arms are just now starting to recover.  My sister has volunteered to come help me out with the class set-up and book organization a couple of times next week.  It's going to be hard, but so, so exciting!  I'll definitely share photos.

We went up to Mt. Hood on Thursday with another one of my sisters and took a hike in the sweltering weather.  It's a hike that I considered "easy" several years ago, but between age, weight gain, and the heat, I only did about half of it before taking the kids back to play in the river while my husband and sister completed the route.  I made a birthday cake that night, because it's too hot to bake during the day right now, and Friday the family drove to the beach for the day in honor of my husband's birthday.  I have NEVER experienced that amount of heat at the Oregon coast before.  Crazy.  I was in the ocean up to my waist a few times, which is not something I would normally do.  

Then today I spent a few hours working at the (air conditioned) library before going to the retirement party of a former colleague I'm still friends with.  It was fun to see some other former coworkers as well, although it was weird to me how many of them either have retired or are planning on this year being their last.  These are the teachers who were mid-career when I started in their district; experienced but not the Old Guard.  I guess 18 years will do that to a person.  

Non-book items from the public library that I used this week

  • Playaways to prevent back seat squabbling and misery on car trips (son's = Guardians of Ga'hoole; daughter's = Chomp, mine = Stella by Starlight)
  • A stud finder to mark where the new bathroom mirror can hang
  • A bocce ball set that we played with in the backyard one evening
  • A heart shaped cake pan for the birthday cake
  • Their computers and printer to get some work done in an environment where I focus better.
  • Their water bottle filler.
Have I mentioned how much I love my library?  Oh right, I have!  




SaveSaveSaveSave

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy fun filled week. A make over can be a fun thing and I am planning on doing some of that with my blog too. I like clean and simple and yours looks great.
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clean and simple is what I was going for! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love the blog redesign! It sounds like it was a busy week. I would not be happy carrying 200 pounds of books around. That’s one of the reasons I never want to move. I don’t want to pack up all my books and drag them anywhere.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get a cart for the books. It was moving all the furniture that did my arms in.

      Delete
  3. That is awesome that you can borrow such a variety of items from your library! The cake pan especially would be useful. I have a collection of cake pans that I've used once or twice and that I can't quite give away. That's a lot of books to move around! That's too bad about the hike. The heat is really bothering me this year. I don't know if it's just worse than normal or because I'm getting older but it has not made me want to be particularly active this summer. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's brilliant that they've developed this "Library of Things" as they call it. We've made a bunny cake and a paw print cake from their collection as well. There's no way I would buy that type of thing, so I'm having so much fun trying new options.

      Delete
  4. Busy week! I don't think people always realize just what is involved in getting a classroom ready or what teachers have to do. And it's been hot here too although today it's cooled down. Glad you got to get to the coast. I'll have to check out your lists, they sound good.

    I heard Girl with All the Gifts was quite good, and a snippet I read at one time had me very intrigued, but I never did get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer I took a course that gave me credit for all the curriculum planning, research, and classroom work I did. I couldn't afford to do it again this year, but I wish I had--it really gave me incentive to put the time in. I actually feel guilty about working in the summer, because to my family, it looks like Mom is just hanging out on the computer.

      Delete
  5. I'm planning on doing some fixing up on my blog too. Nothing big, but more like organizing it better. Noggin looks hilarious!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list of non-books from the library - who would think to look for these types of items there?!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!