Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday Post #11




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

I'm still on a two-week posting cycle with this link-up. Technically, it's been three weeks, but my July wrap-up came on a Sunday, so I feel like I covered everything there.  I think it might just be time to accept that I have terrible time-management skills.

Reading This Week:

I've only read five books in the past two weeks, but in my defense, that's about 2,000 pages.  I read me some doorstops.  And the LOWEST rating I gave any of them was a 3.5/5.  So it's been some terrific reading!

I confirmed my admiring first impression of V. E. Schwab with A Gathering of Shadows, then read the touching MG novel My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece.  I finally read Symphony for the City of the Dead and LOVED IT.  While on a long car trip, I listened to A Night Divided, and decided that it will make a great read-aloud this fall.  Walls, divided families, propaganda...it just seems timely.  And then I plowed through Carry On and was absolutely charmed and delighted.  Rainbow Rowell's voice just works for me.  I know she 's not everybody's cup of pumpkin mocha latte, but I am a fan.  

Why does the left-hand book keep going black?  It's a mystery.

Fun fact: Carry On also turned out to be the 2,000th book on my "read" shelf on Goodreads.  

Blogging this week:

This will be only my fourth post in two weeks as well.  Sigh.  I have ideas, but I don't have time.  

I did get in two Top Ten Tuesday posts, telling what I'd do (and what I did) with a fully loaded gift card and sharing ten classics I'd like to read someday.  I have been so excited by my recent reads that I posted reviews of both V. E. Schwab's Shades of Magic books and Symphony for the City of the Dead.  I don't write many reviews, but both of these books gave me a lot to say.   I tried to set up my blog to make it easier to follow (one possible reason why I have barely a dozen followers) and I tried to do some purposeful commenting visits around the blogosphere, although right now my time and attention are going more towards teaching blogs than book blogs.  

Life this week:

Sleep-away camp was an unqualified success!  In the time since, three of us visited Mt. St. Helens for a day, we went on a four day camping trip with a group of friends for the 15th time in the past 18 years, and we spent a night up at Mt. Hood and a day at a gorgeous lake there.  I also spent a day with a group from my school district that is charged with increasing equity within our system.  Learned a lot about Oregon's predictably depressing racial history and talked a lot with the middle school team about how we're going to handle the emotions around this year's elections, some of which already triggered a walk-out at our local high school last spring.

We also watched this video.


It got me thinking about (amongst other things) how happy being a reading teacher makes me.  Being an ELD (aka ESL) teacher also made me happy.  Teaching Language Arts never really did that.  And I think it's because the "why" of both ELD and reading has to do with improving the lives of students, of helping students grow as human beings.  But language arts was a whole bunch of "what" without the same "why."  Five paragraph essay.  Cite your source.  Take notes on sentence structure.  I'm not saying that one teaching assignment is better than another--I'm saying that some are better FOR ME because I am committed to WHY I'm teaching that.

Entering the last week of break, I have a day of meetings, a doctor's appointment, and my husband's birthday, which should be more fun than the other two commitments.  I hope to get some reading in too!

7 comments:

  1. I've only read one Rainbow Rowell book but I liked it a lot and the writing style as well. I agree about her narrative voice. I read a short story by her as well and felt the same way. And time and the busyness of life definitely take their toll on blogging. :)

    Nice thoughts on teaching too, it's nice when you do something you love and affect others in a positive way. Good for you, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s so cool that you love your job. Most people I know hate theirs. I’m also happy that you liked Carry On. It was one of my favorites last year.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you were in my old neck of the woods (I used to live in Washington). I don't miss the rain or even the green, but I do miss the water now that I live in the desert SW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2000 pages!!! You like big books HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! I would be delighted to get 5 books read in one week. That sounds pretty productive to me. I mean you still have to eat and shower, right. Getting five books read is huge!
    Happy birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One good book is better than thirty bad books. Quality over quantity.

    I agree. I was in an easy school, where parents were affluent and children were high achievers. I felt led to go to the school where I am now. I think the children here need me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My students started back this week, so it's been pretty busy for me. My number of books read has definitely gone down now that school is back in. :-( Hope you are having a great week!
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!