Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday Post #9




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week:

Three books.  All good.

The Hunted, Matt de la Pena's sequel to The Living.  I loved most of it, but was disappointed by the ending, which felt rushed and forced.


H is for Hawk, which is such an unlikely book.  A memoir of recovering from grief through falconry?  But Falconer's Library tries to read Falconer Books.  It was gorgeous, strange, and very, very British.  There were entire sentences that made absolutely no sense to me, and I have read a lot of British books in my time.  There were also sentences that stopped me in my tracks with their loveliness.


















Another Little Piece is the first book that my students chose for me to read, so I am using it for my first #MakeMeRead book.  It was definitely more horror-ific than my usual reads, but I loved the unusual format and story.
 


Blogging this week:

Minuscule.  I wrote one long blog post--the Mid Year Freak-Out Tag, and prepped one for next week.  I did get in and do a bunch of blog reading and commenting, which I'd hoped to do.  

Part of the problem is that I had to turn in my work computer for the summer, which means I'm in constant competition with my kids for the family laptop--and when I'm on it and they're not, then they want my attention.  Also, The Winemaker and I have been watching Nikita in the evening after the kids are in bed, so I'm not getting any blogging or reading done then.  "Problem" isn't really the right word though--it's just the situation right now.  

Life this week:



We made some significant problem on a bathroom repair/remodel project that has been hanging over our heads for a full year.  

We went to an outdoors production of A Midsummer Night's Dream the other night.  It was great fun, and they really camped it up to make it entertaining for kids as well.  I realized, as I struggled to climb the terraced rows in the amphitheater, that while I'm somewhat resigned to all the weight I've put on in recent years, I am NOT okay with losing my formerly sturdy hiking legs.  So yesterday I took a kid over to our local Audubon Society to look at the birds, and then we took a teeny tiny hike.  

Relatives are starting to come in for the family reunion my mother-in-law has organized in honor of turning 75 this year.  I haven't seen them yet, but my husband has spent some time with his cousin and wife, who flew in from London, and his uncle, who drove up from Arizona in the Airstream Trailer that has been his home for decades.  Six more come in from North Carolina today, and then we all head to the beach mid-week.  18 of us, including five kids, a fundamentalist minister, a Chinese-born PhD candidate currently researching Langston Hughes, a hermit, an early Alzheimer's patient, a sister-in-law who always complains about me being on summer vacation, a husband with noise sensitivities, and a mother-in-law who becomes more type-A and controlling the more people are around.  I'm hoping to corner my new cousin-in-law-in-law and get the scoop on Langston Hughes.  (Related question--my husband's cousin's kids are what to my kids?  Anyone know?)  

4 comments:

  1. You let your students choose books for you? I actually did that as well when I did reading therapy, but only with the high school kids! If not for them, I never would have read Twilight or The Marked series. Hope you will have a nice week! Here's my Sunday Post http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/the-sunday-post-caution-serious.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why you wouldn't have summer vacation. Does she expect you to work at Starbuck's for the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my professors recommended H is for Hawk to me. I haven’t picked it up yet, though. That family reunion sounds crazy. I don’t think I could survive all of my family members being in one place.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband's cousins kids are 2nd cousins to your kids. The cousin's kids are first cousins once removed to your husband. For some reason being to keep all the relationships and what everything is called is my superpower. I'd really prefer a more useful one but oh well! The family reunion sounds fun and what an interesting group of people! Your sister-in-law sounds like a treat. How hard is it not to roll your eyes back in your head when she starts that complaint? H is for Hawk is on my TBR. It sounds unusual and fascinating. Another Little Piece sounds really good and I like a good horror or thriller for summer. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!