Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sunday Post #10




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

This another two-week update, because we were at the coast last week and I didn't have time to do a Sunday Post.  I'm sure you've all been anxious about that.

Reading This Week:

6 books last week, but just 3 this week. I've finished  Sekret, by Lindsay Smith, as I mentioned earlier.  Then after my surprise library haul, I've read Furiously Happy and The Haters, both of which were so, so funny and super weird.  Trying to decide if it would be okay to have Haters on my PG-13 shelf, or if I need an even more restricted shelf.  For some reason, I kept having major restless-leg stuff going on at night, so I read both of them in the magical midnight to 4 am time slot, which kind of messed up the subsequent days.  Moms who need 8-9 hours of sleep per night shouldn't be staying up that late.

Last week I read a bunch of books for the Make Me Read It read-a-thon, choosing from the classroom library books my students selected for me to read over the summer.  They were: Mockingbird, Fish in a Tree, Another Little Piece, Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here, and The Eighth Day.  I also finished reading H is for Hawk, an actual book for grown-ups, at the very beginning of this two week stretch.  No duds in the entire group!

The book I was reading before I started Haters and Furiously Happy is Jasper Jones, which I'm continuing to read off and on.  I've gotta say, they are three entirely different genres but all include a fair number of brutally off-color jokes.  And other really difficult themes.  But they're AWESOME, all three of them.  You know, if you like that kind of thing.  If you don't, then stay far, far away.

Blogging this week:

This is my seventh post in two weeks, which is neither good nor bad.  I would like to be more on top of my blogging and writing in general; I can't seem to get ahead.  As usual, I'm blaming my busy life for this, but at some point I may have to confront the fact that the only way to get the time is to forcefully wrest it from myself.  

I participated in Top Ten Tuesday both weeks, so now you know ten random things about me and ten books I've read that were set outside the U.S.  I updated about read-a-thons twice, and the other posts were one about talking animals in books (as opposed to in real life, I guess) and a book haul when I accidentally checked nearly a dozen books out from the library even though I already have plenty to read.  

Life this week:

I've gotta wrap this up because the daughter is getting ready to go to sleep-away camp for the first time and is pretty clingy right now.  But yesterday was my birthday, and we went on a float trip down a local river with one of my oldest friends and her teen-aged daughter, and it was blissful.  Definitely the highlight.


8 comments:

  1. Looks like you did pretty good with your readathon. And happy birthday (yesterday!)- a float down the river sounds pretty good. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The readathon looked like a lot of fun but I'm feeling pulled to pieces right now and couldn't figure out how to work it in. The float down the river sounds blissful and like lots of fun. Happy birthday! I'm bad about staying up too late reading (because when else can you read?) which is why I will never give up coffee. It is required! You've got me wanting to revisit Furiously Happy. I'm thinking audio might be fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God, I bet the audio is fabulous. She talks about recording her previous book in this one, and--of course--she's really hilarious about it.

      Delete
  3. My reading fluctuates like that sometimes a read a book everyday, then others only 2 or 3 a week. Hope the week ahead is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have restless leg syndrome too - it drives me crazy sometimes, and reading is the only way for me to take my mind off of it enough for it not to torture me. So sorry you're dealing with that (and the lack of sleep!)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes. Exactly-ish. How did you know? :)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I’ve had Furiously Happy sitting on my TBR shelf for about six months. I really should do something about that.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!