Thursday, July 14, 2016

Make Me Read Update #1

Today's creatively titled post is coming to you from lovely Lincoln City, OR.  The family reunion is underway, the weather is gorgeous (sunny and windy, classic Oregon summer beach weather), the house is lovely and bright, and I'm holed up in the bedroom with my book.

Okay, I took a walk on the beach yesterday and made everyone waffles this morning.  I'm not a completely reclusive slug.  Also, the other adults are all out of the house at the moment, so I'm nominally babysitting my kids and their cousin while they watch Adventure Time.

As always, I packed more books than clothes.  I didn't bother to look up the actual voting responses, just grabbed a bunch of books out of the box of 20+ that my students chose for me, but it turns out I got several of the ones that are on deck, so it's all good.

So far this week I've read:

1.  Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn.
I picked it up originally (at Dollar Tree!  For a buck!  In hardback!) for a student who likes horror, but the premise sounded intriguing, and I kept hoping to read it too.  Annalise stumbles out of the woods at a party, covered in blood, then disappears again.  A year later, she's found several states away, with no memory of who she is.  It was delightfully creepy, and (at least to me, with little horror/paranormal background) not predictable.  4 stars






2.  Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here by Anna Breslaw.
This was an Uppercase Books selection a few months ago.  It looked like a light contemporary, and I was pleasantly surprised with both how smart and how fun it is.  Reminiscent of Fangirl in that the main character is an accomplished fan fic author, but not at all derivative.  4 stars.








3.  Mockingbird by Katheryn Erskine
So.  Hmm.  This one won a bunch of awards, and the voice of the main character, who has Asperger's, is really well done (as far as I know, anyway).  But it falls into that MG trap of solving everything neatly, and the "throw all the issues in the world at the book in an attempt to make it not just a one-issue book" problem as well.  I'm not denying it's a good book.  But for me, not a great one.  3 stars





4.  Fish in a Tree by Linda Mullaly Hunt
I enjoyed the reading of this book more than Mockingbird, but it had some of the same issues for me.  EVERYTHING gets resolved neatly.  Still, Ally's voice is great, and I love both her metaphors and the images she comes up with in her art.  3.5 stars

Kind of excited for the next one as well--Eighth Day has a great premise.  It's actually really working out to be reading a bunch of YA and MG this week, so I can finish quickly, and dip in and out of books as time allows without feeling distracted.



3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you about Mockingbird. School made me read it a few years ago, and I felt pretty “Meh” about it. I did like the voice of the character, though.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Little Piece sounds intriguing! I've been leaning towards darker reads lately but haven't read much horror

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been relatively successful so far, even if some of your MG reads were predictable. Glad you're having a fantastic time at your reunion!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!