Monday, July 18, 2016

Just Keep Reading: My Segue from Make Me Read It Read-a-Thon to High Summer Read-a-Thon

I got distracted from the Make Me Read It Read-a-thon by the fun we were having on our vacation.  I did finish The Eighth Day, which I really enjoyed, and then started in on Sekret, which I bought last summer and kept meaning to get to all year.  Enjoyed it also.

Thus, grand total for the #MakeMeRead blitz was five and a half  books, all YA/MG.  I really liked four of them, and the other two had strengths that made them worth reading.


I went ahead and finished up Sekret this morning, so I guess it also counts as my first High Summer Read-a-Thon book.

 My plan is to keep working through the next few books I'd put aside from my big stack.  That would be Jasper Jones, Salt to the Sea, and 100 Sideways Miles.  We're encouraged to read some adult books as well for this, so I also plan to dive into some of my summer professional reading goals this week.

Since I missed the Sunday Post this week, I'm also going to share some pictures from our family reunion at the beach.  My mother-in-law turned 75 last spring, and invited her sister and her family, their brother, and her two sons' families to spend several days at the coast this month.

They had really lovely plantings in the development where we stayed.  

Wave Jumping

The cliffs erode constantly--beach front property is a bit of a risk.

Looking north

We had 106 stairs up and down to the beach--just in time for me deciding to get in better shape.

I got the boys going on an engineering project.

Cousins and in-laws

My kid gathering shells

My other kid gathering shells

My girl and her local cousin

Some kid tried to claim this piece of driftwood for himself.  Nice try, kid!  No private property on Oregon beaches!

Tidal pools


3 comments:

  1. High Summer / Oregon. I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beach photos. Good luck with your read-a-thon!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to High Summer! Thanks for joining us. Hope you can meet your reading goals.

    Looks like you had a fun vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!