Friday, June 24, 2016

Netflix and Books



I have been stealing tags lately--I think because the TTT topics haven't really grabbed me, but I want some fun format to work within.  I saw this one on the Novel Ink blog awhile back, and thought it looked like a good time.  I don't watch a ton of TV, so I didn't get all of the references as they were listed.  However, their directions said it was okay to substitute, so I did a lot of that. There are a few left that I actually don't know, but now my favorite shows are all represented.



The Office » Unlikeable character(s)
How It Went Down by Kekla Magoon.  
I loved this multiple-point-of-view story.  It starts with a white man shooting a black teen.  Was the boy pulling a gun on him?  Or was he holding a Snickers bar?  Or both?  Some of the people we get to know are definitely unlikeable.  Others grow during the story, and some "good" characters get their weaknesses revealed.  

Friends » Your ship sank or didn’t happen
Sprout by Dale Peck.  
This one is hard to talk about without major spoilers, but I loved this book and hated the way my ship sank.

*Buffy The Vampire Slayer » Best cast of characters/friendships
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.  
I started reading this series while visiting a friend in San Fransisco in the mid 1990s.   Originally serialized in a newspaper, much like a Dickens novel, Maupin's story of young people rooming together at 28 Barbury Lane in the swinging '70s is full of life, humor, politics, and charm.  

via GIPHY


The Biggest Loser » Hate that you love or guilty pleasure
Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I adored these books as a child, but find the casual racism disturbing as an adult.  Yes, I get that it's a product of the times.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.  

Supernatural » Long series you loved
Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman.
Is five books "long"?  There are some much longer mystery series that I love too, but Shusterman's dystopian world is fascinating and the adventure is non-stop.  

Grey’s Anatomy » All the feels
Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone.
This one garnered the CYBILS YA prize for 2015.  Mental illness, friendship, romance, cliques, courage, guilt...it covers a lot!  

*La Femme Nikita » Bad ending
Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt
"Bad" ending isn't quite the right term, but my middle schoolers all found the ending to be horrifyingly sad, and I don't disagree.  



*Lost » Favorite paranormal/fantasy
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
"Favorite" is another term I am uncomfortable with, but this is my most recent "favorite" fantasy novel.  

*Firefly » Left you wanting more
The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. 
There are two "untitled future books" on Goodreads in this series, and I dearly hope they will someday become reality.  

via GIPHY

*Alias » Series that should have ended earlier
Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty
The first book or two were fun, then they got ridiculous.  How many books in a row can you manufacture reasons to keep the lovebirds apart?

*Veronica Mars » Should have had a spin-off
Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness
I love the short stories he wrote set in the same universe, and clearly, clearly there is room for more development of the premise, characters, and world.  




That 70’s Show » Set in a different time period
The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
This book, set in the early twentieth century, has all the charm of classics like Anne of Green Gables, but with a modern sensibility that makes it less cringe-worthy (or preachy) than actual classics.

Orange is the New Black » Couldn’t stop reading
Y: The Last Man series by Brian K. Vaughan
This is one of the first graphic novels I got into, and remains one of the only comic book series I've read.  In the first of ten volumes, Yorick and his pet monkey are the only two males left after a mysterious--something--causes every Y-chromosone carrying being to drop dead.  I stumbled across these randomly at the library, and then came back to check out the rest of the series.

*Master of None » Made you laugh out loud
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Hornby is always good for a laugh, but I remember this one in particular, because I started snort-laughing while reading it during a class's silent reading time, and of course the kids all wanted to know what was so funny.  Since it was a conversation between four strangers who'd all coincidentally gathered on the same rooftop on New Year's Eve to jump off and kill themselves, I was reluctant to explain.  

One Tree Hill » Favorite book boyfriend
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
I'm not saying I'd want Sean Kendrick for myself, but oh, is he ever the best book boyfriend for Puck.  (Also, I have zero idea what One Tree Hill is.)    


*Sherlock » Favorite villain
Play Me Backwards by Adam Selzer
This was a hard one for me.  While I love a good anti-hero or conflicted good guy, outright villains only sell well on TV, where the actor's looks and charm can win me over.  Still, having just read a book in which a guy named Stan claims to be (and may actually be) actually Satan--he seemed like a good choice.

via GIPHY


Modern Family » Best family or parents
Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
I really truly loved this book.  And one of the many fine things about it was how loving and wise the two sets of parents were.  SO rare in YA fiction.  


* These are shows I've actually watched in their entirety.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

5 comments:

  1. One Tree Hill was a show geared toward teen-agers.

    I saw the mini series for Tales of the City. But I haven't read any of these books. I've seen some of the TV shows though. I read something else by Nick Hornby; something to do with his favorite songs or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Fidelity. That's actually how I discovered Hornby, from the John Cusack film based on the book.

      Delete
  2. I don’t watch TV, so I’ve never heard of a lot of these shows. It sucks that you didn’t like the ending of Orbiting Jupiter. One of my professors recently gave a lecture on that book, and I thought it sounded interesting. The lecture ruined the ending for me, but I might still read it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the book, and felt it was worth reading even with the ending. There is an element of sacrifice in the ending that is beautiful, but still--it seems unfair that the kid could never catch a break. Schmidt has an interesting video (I think on his site) where he talks about the book, which he wrote just after his wife died. The young man in the book is mourning his beloved, and that was coming straight from Schmidt.

      Delete
  3. Friends » Your ship sank or didn’t happen : why is this? My ship sank in Friends as well so I would love to know why yours did as well!! :)

    Lovely picks, I like so many shows you do & have added quite a few books to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!