Tuesday, May 31, 2016

TTT: Professional Books I'm Looking Forward to Reading This Summer


The theme for this week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is beach reads.  The term, to me, says light, quick reads.  But that's what I read when my brain is overtaxed.  During the summer, when I have a couple of months off from work, is when I read books that require deep thinking and even note-taking.  There are many professional books I've been wanting to read all year, and I hope to get to most of them this summer.  Luckily, most of them have self-explanatory subtitles!

1.  The Writing Thief: Using Mentor Texts to Teach the Craft of Writing by Ruth Culham.
2. Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading by Kylene Beers and Robert E. Probst.
3. For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood (and the Rest of Y'all Too): Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education by Christopher Emdin.
4. So What Do They Really Know? Assessment that Informs Teaching and Learning by Cris Tovani
5. Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be by Teri Lesesne
6.  Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Text, 4-12 by Kelly Gallagher  (Alternate titles by the same author: Readicide: How Schools are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It, Reading Reasons: Motivational Lessons for Middle and High School, and In the Best Interest of Students: Staying True to What Works in the ELA Classroom.
7. Passionate Learners: How To Engage and Empower Your Students by Pernille Ripp.  Pernille writes a blog about her 7th grade language arts class, and every single post makes me say, "Yes, this," or "Wow, that's great."   I can't wait to read her book!
8. Mini Lessons for Literature Circles by Harvey Daniels and Nancy Steineke
9. Reading Unbound: Why Kids Need to Read What They Want and Why We Should Let Them by Jeffery D. Wilhelm, Michael W. Smith, and Sharon Fransen.  Also known as, "This is What I Think About Reading."
10.  Finally, I'd like to re-read two books that are significant in my development as a reading teacher and even, corny as it sounds, as a person.   Book Love by Penny Kittle and Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!