Saturday, May 21, 2016

Sunday Post #3




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.  It's "a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog."

Reading This Week:

Okay, this is something new.  I haven't finished any books this week.

Well, okay, I've read a few picture books start to finish, but that's it.  It's been a weird week, okay?  I've also started several read-alouds (to students and my own kids) and have read parts of two books.  By the time you read this, I may have even finished one or both of them, if my evening goes as planned.  But as of Saturday at 7 pm, I have not read any full books this week.

Weird.

Update: Just finished Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes.  3.5/5 stars.  Great premise, and I liked how therapy, tennis, blended family, and friendships were included.  The romance was a sweet, but not very memorable, and it was pretty easy to see where everything was headed.  


Blogging this week:

Also unimpressive.  The top ten topics haven't been floating my boat lately.  For the Slice of Life community, I shared a poem I wrote five or six years ago, and I reviewed Six of Crows, my favorite book I've read recently.  Again, I might get my act together to get another post up before this one, but it's not looking likely.  I did stumble across another blogger who is organizing an online Diversity in YA Book Club, so I cleaned up the jotted list I have of authors I want to read for my "More Authors of Color Challenge" this month to share with her, and I hope to participate in her book club.  


Life this week:

After seeing the dismal statistic above, it should come as no surprise that the category of Real Life was pretty overwhelming this past week.  I mentioned last week that I had a job interview Tuesday, so I was obsessively putting together, practicing, and tweaking a presentation for that for the first part of the week.  Then there was a walkout at our local high school, protesting a political (he says), racist (I say) sign posted by a student in the cafeteria, and my middle schoolers basically lost their ever-lovin' minds.  I've been teaching for around twenty years, and I have never had an experience like that.  Thursday I had some students shouting at each other and others crying in the corner.  I had to call admin into my classroom a few times, but they kept having to leave because the whole building was in the same state of chaos.  The high school kids did an amazing job at running an organized, peaceful act of civil disobedience that drew attention to the way racism simmers just below the surface in our community.  The middle schoolers, well--they are middle schoolers.  They had a LOT of EMOTION about it, but no actual plan, or ability to listen to other points of view.  So we as the adults in our building are scrambling to come up with something that will let them share their voices, but also encourage them to listen to others.  Something that will keep them safe from violence, but not give in to our own fear of chaos and disorder.  

Oh, and my daughter's final choir concert of the year was today.  

We've been eating a lot of microwavable food this week, is what I'm sayin'.  

I hope to get more reading and blogging done in the next week, although let's be honest--next week might be nearly as intense as this week was.  Still.  I miss words.  

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a week! Sounds intense at school- heavy subjects and kids trying to process that kind of thing. I hope it all goes well.

    I was wondering about Girl Against the Universe as I read an excerpt and was kinda interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, it sounds like you had a shocker of a week. How did the interview go?

    I know what you mean about link-ups sometimes not interesting you. I've been a bit like that with a non-bookish Monday one I do. None of the topics have been relevant or interested me at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a hard week. It sucks that politics are driving everyone crazy, even the kids.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes - what an intense week at work. I wish you guys all of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's intense for middle schoolers! Being that age is rough enough, dealing with all your hormones, I can imagine how quickly it spiraled out of control for you all. I think it's wonderful that you and the other teachers are looking for an outlet for them. It will be something they remember for the rest of their lives. Hope this is a better week for you!
    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't seem stoked about Girl Against the Universe.

    (I'll show myself out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not even have got this without the parenthetical comment. Totally something my husband would say. The Dad Joke Gene is strong in you.

      Delete
  7. Oh my. What a week. No wonder you didn't get a lot of reading done. Crossing fingers you have a better experience this week:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!