Sunday, April 24, 2016

Update Three: Final Three! (Hours, that is)



Okay, it's 2 am, and you're going to have to just roll with any incoherence and bad typing.  I'm typing in big font so my tired eyes can see.  I'm actually hoping that by taking some computer time, I'll perk myself back up.  Don't they always say to NOT get on your computer before trying to sleep?

I have definitely stalled out a bit since about nine.  I had to get the kids fed and to bed, as my son't overnight didn't pan out, but my husband's evening out did.  I read a few chapters of Raina Telgemeier's graphic novel adaptation of the first of Ann M. Martin's Babysitters Club aloud to my daughter, and then when she went to bed decided I may as well finish it.  A bunch of my students are reading them too.  I am too old to have read the originals, and I had assumed they were just dumb drivel, but this is the second graphic novel version I've read, and I have to say they are pretty great.  They address some realistic tween issues, include some diversity (divorced parents, illness, and one of the four stars is Asian), and of course has Telgemeier's signature colorful and clear illustrations.  




Happy to have finished a book, however simple, I then sped through a very short book that was either a novel in verse or a poetry book with a theme, depending on how you look at it.  This is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness is another book aimed at kids.  I pretty much adore all the fake apology poems out there (based on William Carlos Williams' This is Just to Say, or The Icebox Plums Poem, as I think of it), and this book takes it a step further by having the various students of an imagined 4th grade class write a set of apology poems that veer more and more from the mentor text, and THEN a set of forgiveness poems, either actually from the person the first poem was addressed to, or from someone assuming that person's (or animal's!) perspective.  Does that sound charming?  Because it was.  




Fortified by two easy completions, I'd just started Marie Lu's Legend when my husband came home, and he was hopeful of a little attention.  He was out with our mutual friends, so I did want to hear about his evening as well.  But by the time we wound down, I was sleepy, so I set my alarm for 90 minutes later, since I've heard that's about how long our natural sleep cycles are.  To my delight, I woke up one minute before my alarm went off!  So I've made some iced coffee and am going to try to make it through the last few hours to 5 am.  

I just wish I could get my book's font to increase to this size too.  Next time I am definitely going to check out some large print editions from the library.  


2 comments:

  1. Wow. I don’t think I would have the attention span to read this much. That’s crazy.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made it through the challenge ... for the most part. Good going! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!