Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Read-a-thon is coming! (Q is for Quite Excited)


I am so excited about this, it's not even funny.  Like, it's all I can think about or talk about right now.  

I was going to put up a post tomorrow as part of the A-Z challenge, since tomorrow is R, which is for Reada-a-thon, but I've pretty much failed at the alphabet thing at this point, and I'm too excited to wait.  So hey, Q is for Quite Excited about the 24 hour read-a-thon!




I was dimly aware of such a thing, but didn't have any concrete knowledge until I read this post by Deb at Readerbuzz.  In the grand old tradition of last minute signups, I bounced right over to the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon site and signed up.  I figured worse case scenario would be that I read in the morning while my kids are zoned out on screens and stay up past my bedtime after they get to bed--in other words, treat it like any other Saturday.

Then I remembered that our son's friend had made noises about having him come over to play Saturday afternoon, and then spend the night.  Score!  Any time I don't have to referee sibling issues is time I can spend reading.

Next up, I remembered that my husband and I were invited to a wine drinking event Saturday night.  As fun as that would be too, it's always hard to get a sitter (=my excuse to stay home), and if he's off having a good time, I don't have to feel bad about ignoring him all evening.

The final two pieces of the puzzle are that a) I have a midmorning coffee/walk date with a friend whose mom died a few weeks ago, meaning I have a built-in exercise and social break, and b) my daughter is coming off of a super busy birthday weekend, so neither of us will feel too bad if she spends most of her day on screens.

YES!  I won't stay up all night, because I need my sleep in order to function and don't want to be too groggy Monday.  (Yes, it takes me that long to recover.)  I figure I can get 12 hours in easy, and may challenge myself to push it to 16 or 18.

Here's what I have on deck as potential material.



Books I've been meaning to get to--a combo of books I have out from the library and books I bought "for my classroom" but can't wait to read feel a need to preview first.  
  • Kate Atkinson's A God in Ruins (I've listened to 1/3 of it on audiobook, but my headphones suck, so I'll just read the rest).
  • Lauryn Miracle's Shine, which looks like it might be kind of intense and Speak-like.
  • I Crawl Through It by A. S. King, whom I adore.
  • Leviathan by Scott Westerfield, because my kid who read ONLY gang-related tough-guy stuff told me it's really good.
  • Legend by Marie Lu because I haven't read any of her stuff yet.
  • Walk This Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson because I loved her first trilogy and need to overcome my concern that this one looks weird.
Not pictured:
  • Rainbow Rowell's Carry On, which I suspect will be a fast read despite being the size of a small country.  I know I have it somewhere.
  • Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton and whatever book I get from Uppercase this week, because I need to keep up on the monthly books coming in.
  • No One Knows by J. T. Ellison because an adult thriller will probably be a good change of pace from all the YA.  
  • A steady stream of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series--I started book five last night.
  • Stephanie Kuehn's Charm and Strange, which was sitting behind me while I took the picture.  Duh.









Nonfiction which, let's be honest, will probably not get read.  But just in case the mood strikes, I have available:
  • In the Best Interest of Students by Kelly Gallagher, one of a half dozen teachers whose work totally inspires me while also making me feel vaguely guilty for not being as awesome as they are.
  • Read, Write, Teach by Linda Rief, another professional book a colleague loaned me with great enthusiasm.  
  • The Forest for the Trees by Betsey Lerner, a book on editing and writing my in-laws gave me for Christmas, which indicates clearly that my husband gave his brother a hint.  I love the way he tries to give me kicks in the butt about taking my writing more seriously.
  • Growing Up Social: Raising Relational Kids in a Screen-Drive World, by Arlene Pellicane and Gary D. Chapman.  I won this from Nicole last summer and probably definitely need to read it, given that my childcare plan for the read-a-thon is "Stick kid in front of unlimited, unsupervised screens for the day."
  • Mary Karr's famous memoir The Liar's Club, so then I can read her book about writing memoirs without feeling like I skipped the pre-req.




Graphic novels and Middle Grade novels for when I REALLY need a break, or if I feel like I need to mark a bunch of "finishes" off.  I see that my graphic novels are more adult than YA, which I think will be good.  Again, a change of pace without being overly tasking.
  • Jenny L. Holm's latest MG novel, Turtle in Paradise and her previous work The Fourteenth Goldfish
  • The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten
  • Not pictured: I've been meaning to read Fish in a Tree for a year now.  Might do it
  • Relish by Lucy Knisley
  • A. D.: New Orleans After the Deluge by Josh Neufeld
  • If I can get my hands on some of Brian K Vaughn's Saga, that would be fun too.
  • Random volumes of poetry.  I have some by Marge Piercy and Ursula le Guin that I haven't re-read in a long time.  I also plan to swing by the 800 section of my school library and pick up a few volumes of light verse and accessible classics.  

Or who knows, maybe I'll spend the entire time reading David Copperfield.  I used to love me some Dickens.  Still do, in theory, but haven't read any new Dickens in twenty years.  (Okay, so there IS no new Dickens, since he's been dead a long, long time, but in the same sense I would buy a new car from its second owner, David Copperfield would be a new book for me.)  

Have you ever done a read-a-thon?  Are you doing this one? Anything I should keep in mind?   Have you done other "athons," whether mara-, joga-, or dancea-?  






5 comments:

  1. I did a couple half-marathons when I was younger. I would go on 17 or 18 - mile runs to train. At a slower pace, of course. Never made it to the full marathon though.

    Another blogger recommended Rowell recently. I forget who though.

    I read Le Guin's Sixty Odd - rated it a 3 out of 5.

    I gave Piercy's Breaking Camp a soft 4. Read Hard Loving but didn't rate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like fun! Have a great time reading.

    Visiting from A to Z,
    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard quite good things about the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I hope you enjoy all those you selected for this challenge. Best of luck to you. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. legend is an epic read! good luck for youuu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! That's a LOT of reading! Hope it's going well for you!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!