Sunday, April 24, 2016

I did it! Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon Summary




I can't believe that I just found out about this last weekend, and actually made it happen.  I participated longer than I expected, but didn't get as much reading in as I hoped.  

Here are my final stats, in all their glory:

Cups of coffee:  Five
 Two hot, three iced

Hours of Sleep: Three  
12:30-2:00 pm and 1:30-3:00 am

Books completed within the 24 hours:  Five 
The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm, The Unlikely Hero of Room 13 B by Teresa Toten, The Babysitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea by Ann M. Martin, graphic novel adaptation by Raina Telgemeier, This Is Just To Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness by Joyce Sidman, The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny.

Book started within the 24 hours and completed in a bonus hour 25, because at that point what is sleep anyway?: One
Legend by Marie Lu

Books started within the 24 hours but not yet completed: Two
Liar's Club by Mary Karr (read 182 pages) and Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley

Number of books my husband is telling people I read: 30, in seven different languages
Which is his way of saying he's proud of me.  :)

Actual time spent reading: 14 hours
But I read at least fifteen minutes during 21 of the 24 hours.

Blog posts written and published during the event: Five

Chance I will do this again: 100%

Ideas for future attempts:
  • Get some large print books for when my eyes get fuzzy with sleep
  • See if I can get sponsors for books, pages, or minutes read and either donate to a literacy charity or for my classroom library
  • Run a modified version for students who are interested
  • Given that many of the mini-challenges are left up for a few hours, and that I sometimes got overly distracted by checking in each hour, I might read to the end of a book (or to my breaking point, whichever comes first) and check in then instead of at regularly scheduled intervals.
  • Get myself some Read-a-Thon swag!
  • Enlist a co-reader.  
  • In my dream world: spend the weekend at the beach doing this with some friends.







8 comments:

  1. I love your dream world readathon. How awesome that would be! Nice job on the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of reading for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is impressive. I don’t think I could ever do that.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll watch for your review of The Brutal Telling. I have Louise Penny on my TBR. Congrats on finishing and doing such a great job! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be a fast reader! Congratulations! I need to look into this read-a-thon. Your accomplishment is inspiring! Glenda from
    Evolving English Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I value my sleep, I would totally do this. Especially over a weekend (with snacks!), especially if I wasn't somewhere with the obligation of cats, fiance, work, etc. :D
    Does this only happen once a year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems to happen every October and April.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!