Tuesday, March 1, 2016

SOL Day 2: Sunshine on My Shoulders Makes Me Happy


Where to slice this particular day?  It had the regular ups and downs--using my full "frequent flier" card to get a free Mexican mocha on my way to work, confusion over which papers to hand out in advisory, snapping at the overly bouncy before lunch class, leftovers for lunch, explaining to the after lunch class that we needed to choose a different read-aloud than the one they voted on yesterday, which Common Sense Media mentioned has a "steamy mutual masturbation scene," which I absolutely am not prepared to read aloud, sneaking peeks at other SOL posts as well as the Top Ten Tuesday posts the books bloggers had up, too much time online at home, then a hasty dinner of spaghetti and tucking kids into bed to the sound of my husband practicing the guitar I got him for Christmas.


But the moment that floats shining through all this everyday stuff came during fifth period.   Three groups went into the hallway to film book trailers, so I stepped out too, watching through the hallway window to see both the group that went out in front of the school and the two groups in the foyer, while still being able to keep an eye on those who were still in the classroom, reading their books.  There was maybe more chatting and laughing that was strictly necessary to get their scenes filmed, but how would anyone make a movie with friends without any extra socializing?  I know I couldn't do it.  Inside, four students were rapt in their books, and from the doorway I chivvied along my most reluctant reader, removing the Rubik's cube he kept focusing on, handing him the new What is the Super Bowl? book I'd gotten just for him.

Inside my windowless room, the students read by the light of the overhead screen and the sunlight streaming in from across the hall.  I leaned against the hallway window, letting the sun warm my back and neck.  The quiet girl who was serving as cinematographer for the group of incurable gigglers recreating scenes from Phoebe and Her Unicorn developed an air of calm authority as she directed them. Another group of three moved seamlessly from the Hunger Games trailer that one directed to a Sunny Side Up trailer led by another group member.

The sun promised spring. And maybe, just maybe, even summer.

Four heads were bent over one iPad outside the window, animatedly discussing what else needed to be done.  Two girls galloped over to the window to show me how they'd added a snippet of them walking, slowed down for that dramatic sense, and I gave them a thumbs up through the window.

"Can I get my Rubik's cube back?" asked Mr. Squirrely.

"Wait until class is over!"

"Okay, but we only have a minute left."

I thought he was kidding.  Somehow an entire period had slipped away while I warmed myself in the sun and watched kids work together without my interference.

(And if you know what song my post title comes from, I'm guessing you've been in education for awhile now!)


3 comments:

  1. The opportunity to pause and observe kids is the best thing a teacher can do. Thanks for sharing the brief glances into kids in action. And that sun! Couldn't be better. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days like this - because we come to realize and appreciate all that our kids are capable of, with the right guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love days like this - because we come to realize and appreciate all that our kids are capable of, with the right guidance.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!