Thursday, March 24, 2016

SOL #25: Before that...




I'm borrowing a borrowed idea...

I saw it here, but she got it here!

I'm crashed out on the couch procrastinating on putting the kids to bed.

Before that,  I painted the board that goes between the cabinet and mirror in the kids' bathroom.  I tried writing their names on it, and it looks super amateur, but that's okay.  We'll call it folk art.

Before that, I finished my book while the kids played at the park.

Before that, we broke into my sister's house (by invitation) and tried to take her dog for a walk.  Dear, sweet Sally, the first dog my kids ever made friends with, only made it a few blocks before coming over sick and shaky.  We gave her time to recover, then slowly led her back home.

Before that, we ate at McDonald's, where I got a salad, a water, and...a small fries, which I refused to share.

Before that, the kids swam at the local pool while I read my book.

Before that, we decided to flee for the afternoon, because

Before that, my husband put a leftover piece of pizza in the microwave for a a minute and a half then went upstairs.  Only it turns out he actually set it for an hour and a half.  Ten minutes into it, he came downstairs to find yellow smoke everywhere.

Before that, I was out with my daughter at Goodwill getting books for my classroom library.

Before that, I spent the morning reading and commenting on Slices and Faeebook.

Before that, I woke up befuddled and groggy on the couch, where I'd gone because I couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake my husband up with my tossing and turning.

Written as part of the Slice of Life March writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers


11 comments:

  1. The scene I have in my mind here: you not sharing your fries. That had me laughing.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen my daughter's face. "Mama, can I have a fry?" Me, "Nope."

      Delete
  2. I love this format (and will definitely have to borrow it). Thanks for sharing--cute slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this format. I especially love it because my 24 year old daughter, Anne, is who you credit at the beginning (the 2nd HERE)!! and I love it because the pizza disaster, told in reverse order, becomes humorous. I finally love it because I also spend days where reading and books are a big part of my life! Thanks for sharing...I need to try this format in one of these last 6 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you and your daughter are both participating in the SOL challenge! Yes, luckily the pizza disaster hit all of our funny bones. It's the next day now and the house still stinks of smoke, but it just adds to the story, really!

      Delete
  4. I love this format. I especially love it because my 24 year old daughter, Anne, is who you credit at the beginning (the 2nd HERE)!! and I love it because the pizza disaster, told in reverse order, becomes humorous. I finally love it because I also spend days where reading and books are a big part of my life! Thanks for sharing...I need to try this format in one of these last 6 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reflecting back on a "typical" day is sometimes so enlightening! It definitely shows us how life has other plans for us while we are busy making plans. Sounds like your days are full...with fun, chaos and purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Chaos and purpose." What a great description.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I must definitely put this in the idea bank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun is this post! I predict another night on the couch??? Hope not!
    Your post reminds me of "The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash." Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun story to be compared to! It would be fun to write a story in that format, explaining ridiculous things in reverse order.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!