Tuesday, March 22, 2016

SOL #23: What I Know About Myself as a Reader, Part 1


I am borrowing this idea from Karen at Talkworthy, who got it from this post on Scholastic.

The original goal was for students and their teacher to come up with a list of a hundred things they knew about themselves as readers.  The original poster made it up to 31 at the time of the posting.  Karen has shared two lists of 25 with the SOL community.  I'm going to try to do the same.


1.  I learned to read before I started school, inspired in part by my older sisters and in part by my family's lack of a television.

2.  I've always been one of the fastest readers I know.

3.  Because of that, I tend to forget books quickly.

4.  I sometimes skip sections of description, although I'm less likely to do that now than when I was younger.

5.  I HATE knowing anything about a book before I start.  I just want a reason to read it--the reason could be as simple as "I like the author," or "someone recommended it."  Knowing the basic premise can attract me to a book, but I'm honestly a little disappointed if I go into it knowing even the stuff that's revealed in the first chapter.

6.  If I had to give up all social media, besides this blog, Goodreads is the thing I would most want to keep.

7.  According to Goodreads, I've logged 1,886 books as read.  This means every book I've read since I joined in June, 2008, plus 107 books I'd read earlier and felt compelled to log at some point.

8.  I'd always wondered how many books I read, but never had the discipline to track it before discovering Goodreads.

9.  I read a lot of YA, especially contemporary and fantasy.  I justify this because of my job, but I'd probably read a lot of YA anyway.

10.  My favorite genres are adult mystery and YA fantasy, but I read a little bit of everything.

11.  I'm not a big fan of "middle grade" novels, although the ones I love I REALLY love.

12.  There are currently 1,092 books on my "to-read" shelf on Goodreads.

13.  And I currently have 58 items checked out on my library card.

14.  Only 20 of those are for me to read.

15.  The others are a combination of books for my kids to read, as well as a puppet, some DVDs and audiobooks for them, audiobooks checked out for my students, some picture books checked out for a student project, and a few novels checked out for students.

16.  I don't really like to read laying down.  I prefer a comfortable chair with good lighting.

17.  Reading outdoors is awesome.

18.  When I was a kid, I could read in the car for hours.

19.  Now, reading even a few words in the car makes me queasy.

20.  The first book I remember reading is Hop on Pop.

21.  The first chapter book I remember reading is Little House in the Big Woods.

22.  I remember my sisters reading aloud to me more than my parents.

23.  Reading aloud to my kids is quite possibly my favorite part of being a mom.

24.  I'm physically and mentally capable of reading three books in a day.  I don't get the chance very often anymore.

25.  After 18+ years of teaching, this year I was offered a reading position, and I'm wondering why on earth I waited so long.  It's heaven.


Written as part of the Slice of Life March writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers










14 comments:

  1. Awesome list. You made me curious with your read and TBR list. Looked up your link to Goodreads and sent you a friend request. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really fun. I'll have to give it a try.

    I couldn't get into Goodreads. Now, you're making me wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's no need if it isn't calling you. I can't get the hang of Twitter, myself.

      Delete
  3. So cool! I especially love the contrasts in your list--
    18. When I was a kid, I could read in the car for hours.
    19. Now, reading even a few words in the car makes me queasy.
    This is a great idea for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! I especially love the contrasts in your list--
    18. When I was a kid, I could read in the car for hours.
    19. Now, reading even a few words in the car makes me queasy.
    This is a great idea for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all my great ideas, it was stolen from someone else. :)

      Delete
  5. As I read your list, I found myself responding to each one of your points with where I am. This was a fun post. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read the other Slicer's list, I had the same reaction. Go for it!

      Delete
  6. As I read your list, I found myself responding to each one of your points with where I am. This was a fun post. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love #24! I love Goodreads as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I just sent you a friend request...

      Delete
  8. What a great list - I kept saying "ME, TOO!" as I read it.
    Working as a reading teacher is heaven, right? I've been lucky to be a reading interventionist for 99% of my teaching career. BOOK LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did this not occur to me earlier?

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!