Sunday, March 13, 2016

SOL #14: Sisters' Day Out


My sisters and I are planning our annual-ish sisters' day out + sleepover for the second weekend of spring break. "Let's go to the Oregon Gardens!" one suggested, naming a large display garden near our state capitol.  I've been there before, and enjoyed it, but my sisters are both Serious Gardeners.  It's a bit like if I invite you to go to the bookstore with me.  Sure, you may like bookstores, but do you REALLY want to spend as much time there as I'm going to want to?

Of course, when you're the one who vetoes an idea, it's your responsibility to come up with acceptable alternatives.  It has to be relatively frugal--only one of us has much extra money, and we hate to always assume she'll pay our way.  A straight up shopping trip is out.  Even window shopping gets hard, when one can buy the windows and two just look.

Here are my ideas so far--wine tasting (but then who drives?), going to a tea house for high tea, a walk/hike in the local forested park (weather dependent)...

In short, I'm open to ideas.  What can three middle aged women do in a mid sized city without spending a ton of cash?

I gotta say--I went to a baby shower yesterday that consisted of going out to brunch then getting pedicures together (something that I think ALL baby showers could learn from)--and while I'm not usually willing to pay money to get my toenails painted, that massage chair was worth every penny.  So there's that too.

Written as part of the Slice of Life March writing challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers

2 comments:

  1. First of all, though I do not have sisters, I love the idea of an annual-ish sister's get-away. And even though you are all unique individuals, how wonderful to spend the time together. I personally would vote for the hike (early morning preferably) followed by a lovely pedicure (and see if you can bring wine in with you for a glass while relaxing).
    Whatever the final decision, I hope you all have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like "It's a bit like if I invite you to go to the bookstore with me. Sure, you may like bookstores, but do you REALLY want to spend as much time there as I'm going to want to?" Exceptional comparison! I don't garden, so that really spoke to me as a reader! You know what else I like, UBER. It's everywhere. Wine tour is my vote!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!