Saturday, March 19, 2016

Quiz: First Lines of Childhood Classics

I saw a similar quiz awhile back, and asked the blogger if I could steal their idea.  They said yes, but then I forgot who it was in the first place.  If it was you--thank you, sorry, and feel free to give yourself a shout-out in the comments!

I am challenging my blog skills all over the place lately, trying out graphics and now a quiz, not to mention the back-to-back month-long challenges I'm doing now and in April.  The April challenge will be book focused, in case you're wondering what kind of book blog this is, where all I do is talk about myself.

The only book on this list that I haven't read and the only book I read but didn't adore are there because I thought they were entertaining wrong answers for the question.  (The quote is about an ax...and a fern...)  All other books named, right answer or wrong ones, were indeed favorites of mine growing up.  Well, except Harry Potter, which came out when I was around thirty.  But it's hard to avoid HP when writing about kids' lit.

I avoided the super obscure titles I wrote about earlier this month, so you should have a decent chance.

Have fun!

Edit: After a reader commented they wish they knew which ones they missed, I went ahead and put an answer key in the comment section, so check there AFTER you're done!




4 comments:

  1. Uh oh! I only got 60% and I consider myself an excellent consumer of children's classics. Wish I could see the ones I missed, but I don't have time to take the quiz again. It's fun that you're challenging yourself in all kinds of different ways this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANSWER KEY:
    1. Harriet the Spy
    2. Wrinkle in Time
    3. HP and the Chamber of Secrets
    4. LIttle Prince
    5. Charlotte's Web
    6. A Bear Called Paddington
    7. The Phantom Tollbooth
    8. Little House in the Big Woods
    9. The Secret Garden
    10. From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.Frankweiler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. "Harriet was trying to explain to Scout how to play Town."
      2. "It was a dark and stormy night."
      3. "Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive."
      4. "Once when I was six, I saw a magnificent picture in a book about the jungle, called 'True Stories.'"
      5. "'Where's Papa going with that ax?' said Fern to her mother as they were setting the breakfast table."
      6. Please Look After This Bear (Title of the first chapter)
      7. "There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself--not sometimes, but always."
      8. "Once upon a time, sixty years ago, a little girl lived in the BIg Woods of Wisconsin, in a little grey house made of logs."
      9. "When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle, everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen."
      10. "Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away."

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I missed #s 1, 2, 4, & 10. Nice distractors in some of those with the similar names.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!