Monday, February 22, 2016

TTT: Recent Atypical Favorites


This week, The Broke and the Bookish challenged us to list books we've enjoyed in the last year or so that were not our typical fare.

This was super hard.  I could argue it's because I read so widely--fantasy, sci fi, mystery, historical fiction, short stories, literary fiction, graphic novels, picture books...I'd consider all of them "my type of book."  The reality still is that I don't venture outside of my comfort zone all that often.  Just because it's a big comfort zone doesn't mean I need to stay safely inside it at all times.  Of course, when I do, I am often pushed back towards what I already know I like.  As I reviewed my Goodreads list of read books, I kept going, "Here's an unusual pick!--and I gave it 2 stars, never mind."

I couldn't even come up with ten that were both unusual for me and that I liked, but here's what I did find:


1.  The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black.  I've never been a vampire enthusiast, even back in the Anne Rice days.  This book was surprisingly engaging, even if it is unabashedly a paranormal romance.



2.  Wolf by Wolf, by Ryan Gaudin, is not ANYBODY'S typical reading.  I challenge you to find any other alternate history/skin shifter romance/intercontinental road race books.  I was skeptical, but just like my mother's "refrigerator soup" made from leftovers, the total was more than the sum of its parts.


3.  The Truth About Stacey adapted by Raina Telgemeier from Ann M. Martin's Babysitter Club novel.    Another one that I assumed I was too mature for, but that I actually appreciated.  I don't know if Martin's originals were as astute and charming, but Telgemeier has the golden touch, as far as I'm concerned.



4.  Brody's Ghost, vol. 1-6, by Mark Crilley.  While I have started reading more and more graphic novels, I generally prefer the ones that don't look like comic books or manga.  Brody's Ghost counters both of these preferences, but I gulped it down and passed it along to my students.  Solid storytelling and a recognizable sci fi feel made it easy for me to appreciate.




And that's it.  Everything else I've read this year was either very much "the kind of book I like" or, well, I wound up not liking it very much.




6 comments:

  1. I really want to read Wolf by Wolf and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown! Glad to know you recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this topic hard to. I ended up going more with types of books I read less of than others more so than books outside my comfort zone. I could have included graphic novels on my list. I enjoy them, but do not read them often. Middle Grade Fiction could have been another one, I suppose. The genre of the one I read recently though is one I read often though--so would it count?

    You have me curious about Wolf by Wolf. I will have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, even though I haven't been able to do vampires since Anita Blake scarred me all those years ago :p Great list!

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out the last week of our giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was really good - and I'm looking forward to Wolf by Wolf. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's fun--I now feel like a one-woman Wolf by Wolf recommendation machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a whole group of kids who love Broday's Ghost. Guess I should read it. Ha! I too enjoyed the Coldest Girl in Coldtown and I don't do scary or vampires, so that is saying something.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!