Monday, January 18, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Recently Added to my TBR List

Okay, well, this is embarrassing.  I had my post already and scheduled, but just realized I actually did NEXT week's topic.  So I quickly rescinded it, and am tossing together a quick look at...

Ten books I've recently added to my TBR list.  

Since, y'know, that's the topic.

Thanks as always to The Broke and the Bookish for inspiring the topic and hosting the linkup.  All lapses of making sense are entirely my own fault.

And as I put together the list, I realize embarrassment #2.  With very few exceptions, each of these books made it onto my TBR list because I saw it on someone else's blog.  Whose?  No idea.  If you see a book on here that you have recently recommended, feel free to take internal credit.  Or even tell me in the comments, "Yeah, I just talked that book up last week, so--you're welcome."

Without further ado, and listing literally the last ten books I've added on Goodreads:




Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson.  I've seen this book around a lot, and while the synopsis always sounded good, that raccoon just freaks me out.  Still, I saw it once again recently, on the blog of someone wonderful, and decided that yes, I would probably enjoy this book.

A Game for All the Family by Sophie Hannah.  I saw this in an article recently, and because I really enjoy Hannah's work, immediately earmarked it.  I have NO IDEA what it's about, and when I just went to its GR page to get the link, I scrupulously looked away from the synopsis.  She writes nicely twisty British police procedurals, if I understand that term correctly.  This book is a stand-alone.

Woman with a Secret, also by Sophie Hannah, is the ninth book in her Spilling CD series.  When I went to mark the previous book as TBR, I saw that there was this one I had yet to read, so I added it as well.

A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie.  I'm 95% certain that I saw this on Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog, and that she said she'd blown through the bulk of this mystery series, so I put the first one on my list.  I'm always on the lookout for good mysteries.

Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson.  This is one I actually found for myself.  I'd seen volume 1 at bookstores, and when I got a chance to heavily influence the book buying grant my school library got, I put it on the list.  What?  Graphic novels are expensive, and book-buying teachers have to stretch their dollar.  I read it the day it came in, and while it wasn't my favorite graphic novel, I enjoyed it, and of course totally appreciate the ethnic diversity and feminist sensibility offered within its pages.  So Vol. 2 is on my list.  





Thor, Vol. 1: The Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron.  I am not a comics girl. I don't know my Marvel from my--okay, I don't even know what the big names are.  But c'mon, a female Thor?  This has to be all kinds of awesome.

Touch by Claire North.  This was DEFINITELY on someone's TTT list last week.  I think.  The premise is that as a person is being murdered, they reach out to their killer and...transfer into their body.  So basically, this person can hop around from host to host, and presumable achieve a sort of immortality?  Like a creepy Every Day?  Sounds fun.

The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch by Daniel Kraus.  I'm digging that cover, although the color seems garish.  (Haven't seen it IRL though.)  Historical paranormals can be great.  And I'm a sucker for names that start with Z.

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine.  This showed up on a number of year-end lists, and it's a book about books, so, why on earth would I NOT read this?

A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab.  I've read many enthusiastic comments about this author, so I figure I'd best begin at the beginning.  

5 comments:

  1. Ink and Bone and Darker Shade of Magic are on my TBR list, you have a nice list of books-hope you enjoy!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-books-recently.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a few of these are on Allyson's list :)
    MyTTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've heard so much about Schwab too! SHE'S BEEN ON MY LIST FOR AGES! And I've STILL not read her. What is wrong with me? as;lfj great post, tho! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to read Furiously Happy too - that cover makes me smile! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Ink and Bone's great! Hope you like it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/top-ten-tuesday-40/

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!