Monday, December 28, 2015

TTT: The Next Ten

I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish, even though I'm not focused on upcoming books right now.  But having started my prioritized to-read list for 2016, I'm further breaking it down into which books I'm going to read next.  It's been working well so far--I've read The Hired Girl, Winter, The Rest of Us Just Live Here, and Tonight the Streets Are Ours, all of which I've been wanting to read for quite awhile now.

These, then, are the next ten books I intend to read.




1.  Columbine, by Dave Cullen.
Well, this is embarrassing.  I have, after all, already posted a review for this book.  But my audiobook loan expired just before I finished it, which happened to be right when school break started (and thus, my commute halted), and I got sick, and Christmas was coming.  I want to go back and finish the last 30 pages or so, just so I feel done.

2.  We Were Here, by Matt de la Pena.  I love his other books I've read, and I was so impressed with him on author panels and at books signings during NCTE.  He recommended this book to my students, so I really want to read it.


3.  Wolf by Wolf, by Ryan Graudin
and
4. Not if I See You First by Eric Lindstrom.
These are the two most recent books from my Uppercase Box subscription.  I loved my first book and was meh on the second, but both of these look great.  NIISYF has a braille cover and a blind protagonist, so that is awesome all the way.  Also, I'd like to point out that all the books on this list so far are by male authors, which is kind of a departure from my usual reading.  I mean, of course, I read plenty of books by male authors, but I feel like the vast majority of YA that I read is by women.


5.  I plan to start the 12 Month Classics Challenge with David Copperfield.  It may take me more than a month to work through it, because I'll probably intersperse it with lighter fare.  But I was a huge Dickens fan in high school and college, and I'm excited to re-enter his world.

6. Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson doesn't sound that intrinsically compelling to me, BUT.  1.  Rae Carson.  2.  Wild excitement from others.  So I'm in.


7.  Is that a Fish In Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything by David Bellos.  I've been chipping away at this since I heard about it on Emerald City Book Review.  It is my favorite kind of nonfiction--breezy but intelligent, on a topic I know a bit about--enough to nod sagely, but not so much that it's review.  I've been experimenting with reading a chapter over breakfast on work days.  I also bought a copy for my brother-in-law for Christmas.  He's a linguist and a translator who at one point worked on translating technical documents from Russian to Japanese.  So, yeah.  He has a tiny bit more expertise than I do.  But I need to finish the book so I can talk to him about it.  Plus, you always get bonus points for referencing Douglas Adams in your titles.

Finishing Columbine, starting Copperfield and reading this feels like a serious change of pace for me.  But I used to read "serious" stuff all the time.  I mean, I've always read fun stuff too.  Not that nofiction and classics aren't also fun in their own way.  But beyond the blathering, I am feeling inspired to demand more of my brain.  (We'll see how long that lasts!)


8. I'll Meet You There, by Heather Demetrios is a book I've been steadily renewing from the library for months.  It's time to read it or return it, and I'm going to READ IT.

9.  Legend, by Marie Lu has been on my to-read list for over a year.  I haven't read any of her work.  I need to fix that.

10.  Okay, I can't really swear which books will be the last two-three on this list.  But I did just download an audio book of Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, so that's a good bet. I really enjoyed her Jackson Brodie books, and am hoping for good things from this one as well.

Possibly substitutes or interlopers include: Leviathan, Another Day, Not a Drop To Drink, and In Real Life, all of which I have checked out from the library right now.  But either way, doesn't that look like a fantastic start to my year?

I'd better get busy this month though--the final round of judging for CYBILS starts January 1st, and I'll be reading whatever makes it through!  Also, I think I might have committed to reading a professional book over break and being ready to share what I learned with my team in January?  Hmm.  Less blogging, more reading, seems to be my message for myself right now.




7 comments:

  1. I want to read WALK THE EARTH, too. Good luck with your TBR pile. Go for it!
    My TTT most anticipated books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wanting to read Columbine as well! I've heard great things, but I am a little intimidated by the size and content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really think listening to it on audio book has helped me overcome those issues a bit better.

      Delete
  3. My daughter read Columbine in high school and found it absolutely fascinating. I hope you get a chance to finish it soon. Is That a Fish in Your Ear? Sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got back to reading "...Fish in your Ear" over breakfast this week. It really is fascinating.

      Delete
  4. I recently read Not if I see You First and it was really good. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you liked it. The cover is so cool!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!