Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Plethora of Authors

Adapted from a post on my teacher blog.

I'm heading to a national English teachers' conference in Minneapolis Nov. 19-22. 

One thing I'm super excited about is meeting authors.  I hope I can get many of them to autograph books for us.  

My question is--which authors should I stand in line for?  Which books of theirs should I ask the to autograph?  I can't carry all of these books, and I might not be able to see all of the authors.  Who should I make a priority?  

Some of the authors who will be there are:

Kate DiCamillo, who wrote:





Katherine Applegate, who wrote:



(She even wrote a bunch of these:) 

Rebecca Stead, who wrote: 





Cece Bell, who wrote: 


and who also illustrated:


Meg Medina, who wrote: 




Francisco X. Stork, who wrote: 





Alan Sitomer, who wrote: 






Andrew Smith, who wrote: 




Margaret Peterson Haddix, who wrote: 





(and a ton of other books too)



Chris Crutcher, who wrote: 






Suzanne Young, who wrote: 




Leila Sales, who wrote: 




Gary D. Schmidt, who wrote: 




Rae Carson, who wrote: 
and two more books in the series


Heidi Schulz, who wrote: 
Plus, she lives in Portland.


David Levithan, who wrote: 




(co-authored with John Green)


Martha Brockenbrough, who wrote: 


and she's another Oregon author!

SO!  MANY!  GREAT!  AUTHORS!

Also, some of my teaching heroes will be there.  Such as...

Donalyn Miller, who wrote:



Penny Kittle, who wrote:



Pernille Ripp, who wrote:




Kelly Gallagher, who wrote:






Laura Robb, who wrote:

Don't quote me on this one.  I feel like I saw her name earlier, but now I can't find it on the program.

Those of you who have said nice things about my teaching approach--I owe it all to these people.  Their books and blogs are so inspiring and encouraging and incredibly SMART.  They simultaneously make me feel like a crappy teacher, and like I have the ability to become great.

Please weigh in with your suggestions for whom I should stand in line for and/or which books I should try to get signed.  I've never been to an event like this before, so I don't even know--do I bring my own copies or buy them there?  Can I get any book signed, or only their latest publication?  How many books can I stuff into my carryon luggage, or is it worth paying extra for actual checked luggage?  GAH!  I'm so excited.



5 comments:

  1. Rebecca Stead and Cece Bell would be my picks! But I'm sure any of them would be terrific. I think the hope is that people will buy something new at the event but if there's something special to you that you already own I don't think most authors would mind signing. Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be sooooo busy! I love opportunities to meet authors, and I don't mind waiting in line to get the chance to chat a bit with them. I haven't met many of the authors on your list, but I did meet Gary Schmidt, who was wonderful and interesting to chat with. I've seen Leila Sales and Andrew Smith be very gracious and accommodating while signing books at events (although I haven't personally interacted with them). Good luck! I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gravitate toward the YA authors like Rae Carson, but that's just me. You should wait for whoever you're most excited about! As far as whether or not you're allowed to bring books, it might be worth a quick call or email to the conference organizers to check it out. Most of the time you can bring your own copies, but not always.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg Medina is so funny and personable. If she is presenting, go see her. Jacqui Delgado is Going to Kick Your Ass is a great book. I have it in my ms library. She has a new book coming out in the spring about the summer of the Son of Sam murders in NYC. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God, I just found out Patrick Ness will be there. And Jack Gantos, Gordon Korman, Lois Lowry, and Matt de la Peña. I will have to figure out how I can maximize my exposure to them while still attending the sessions, which ALSO sound fantastic. What a problem to have, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!