Friday, October 16, 2015

TBR Tag, or Wendy Compulsively Stockpiles Books and Titles

Áine at Writing on a Vintage Typewriter just shared a fun TBR tag.  I can spend ridiculous amounts of time browsing for books, reviewing lists on Goodreads, checking different book awards over the years, scouring top ten Tuesday posts, flipping through my students' Scholastic Book flyers, and wandering the stacks of libraries and bookstores, all to add yet more books to my list of books I'd like to read someday.  Thus, I decided to tag myself ("Tag!  I'm it!") so I could play along.  





HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACK OF YOUR TBR LIST?
Back in the old days, I used to browse bookstores, and write titles of interesting looking books on the back of my checkbook.  Then I'd pull it out when I was at the library and see what I could find.  Nowadays it's all on Goodreads (and I no longer use a checkbook for anything, even checks).
IS YOUR TBR MOSTLY PRINT OR E-BOOK?
Print.  I've read a few things on my laptop or tablet, but only because I had to.

HOW DO YOU DETERMINE WHICH BOOK FROM YOUR TBR TO READ NEXT?
First, on what I have handy, which usually means it's either at the public library, the school library, or in my classroom library.  From there, I just decide what I'm in the mood for.  If I don't know what I'm in the mood for, I start reading first chapters until I hit a book that I can't stop after one chapter.
A BOOK THAT'S BEEN ON YOUR TBR THE LONGEST?
I have always liked Dickens, but I've never actually read David Copperfield.  It's been on my mental to-read list since the mid 1980s.  And Greg Mortensen's Three Cups of Tea has been on my Goodreads to-read list since June, 2008.

A BOOK THAT YOU RECENTLY ADDED TO YOUR TBR?
I just (like five minutes ago) put a bunch of books on the CYBILS nomination list onto my to-read list.  The very last one was The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley, by Shaun David Hutchinson. In a more spontaneous vein, I recently added Passionate Learners, by a teacher blogger named Pernille Ripp, because I kept pinning EVERY SINGLE ONE of her blog posts.  So inspiring. 
A BOOK ON YOUR TBR STRICTLY BECAUSE OF A BEAUTIFUL COVER?
You mean, besides the one with me on the cover? ;)  The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.  I love the cut paper silhouette style.


A BOOK ON YOUR TBR THAT YOU NEVER PLAN ON READING?
An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't.  It looks like fun, but it's been on my TBR since June, 2011, and seems like more of a bathroom reader than a "real book."  Not to be a book snob, just that I'm a story fiend.

AN UNPUBLISHED GEM ON YOUR TBR THAT YOU'RE EXCITED FOR?
Margaret Whalen Turner has two untitled, unpublished books listed as "The Queen's Thief 5 & 6."  I hope these are real plans that become real books in the near future.  

A BOOK ON YOUR TBR THAT EVERYONE HAS READ BUT YOU?

A BOOK ON YOUR TBR THAT EVERYONE RECOMMENDS TO YOU?
People don't really recommend books to me.  One of my colleagues did--that's how I met Marissa Meyer's and Rainbow Rowell's books--but she works somewhere else now.  If a book has a positive review/rating by Donalyn Miller or any of a number of bloggers I follow, it goes on the TBR list, but I don't see that as being the same as someone recommending a book to me specifically.  Well, I guess my continued slog through George R. R. Martin's saga is partly due to my math teacher buddy telling me how much he'd enjoyed them.  Can't be out-read by the math department, right?

A BOOK ON YOUR TBR THAT YOU'RE DYING TO READ?
Just like the blogger I'm stealing this from: Winter and The Rest of Us Just Live Here.  (Horrifying little secret: i bought a copy of The Rest of Us at Target.  It's signed by the author.  I feel like a terrible person, but it was the first time I'd seen it in print and I couldn't stop myself.  And now I'm afraid to read it, because I'm worried I've built it up too much in my mind.  Argh.)
HOW MANY BOOKS ARE ON YOUR GOODREADS TBR SHELF?
Um.  931.  But I have 31 books checked out from the library right now, so really, only 900 of them are still "out there."  Technically.

OKAY, I'M KIND OF A MESS.  But what a great problem to have.  *happy sigh*

1 comment:

  1. I like your answers! I often do what you did, too. I steal book tags quite gleefully. I think I've stolen more than I've actually been tagged for. BUT THEY'RE SO FUN.

    Thanks for stopping by Writing on a Vintage Typewriter!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!