Saturday, September 26, 2015

Reader's Timeline and Blogger Energy



I recently was looking at the adorable graphic reviews and infographics over at The Bibliomaniac.  And I thought, "I wanna do that too!"  Only, of course, I have no idea how.  Now, I realize that the internet is a great source for learning about...the internet.  In other words, I can certainly find tutorials on how to create that type of thing.  It would be interesting, and I would enjoy it, and I'm all about the life long learning.

However.

It's not just that there are 24 hours in a day.  We all get the same amount, and yet there are those who do FAR more than I do already.  And, yeah, I'm pretty sure there are those who do far less.  It's more that my energy is finite.  Some of this comes from not being as young as I once was, some of it comes from being out of shape and overweight, some of it comes from being a mom and a teacher and a wife and a friend and just basically someone with a significant set of responsibilities.  

I think though, that most of my energy conservation needs are driven by being an introvert.  Not so much in the "avoid people" way as in the "needs lots of alone time to recharge" way.  And being a mom and a teacher and all those other things means that I am pretty much always operating on an alone-time deficit.  

So given that I spend a great deal of time wishing I were taking a nap, I have to be smart about what I put my energy into.  I could very happily spend the rest of my afternoon and evening learning how to make cool infographics and then practicing my new skill, but these are the things that would NOT be happening during that time:
  • grading student work
  • making dinner
  • supervising washing up
  • lesson planning
  • interacting with my kids
  • baking cookies
  • taking a walk
  • talking with my husband
  • reading
  • setting up a coffee date with a friend
  • writing
  • taking an actual damn nap
Not all of the things on that list are more fun than learning how to infograph.  Not all of the things are, objectively, more important.  But they are important to me.  I'm not going to get to all of them today, but they are the things I need to get to this weekend in order to not be stressed out about life. 

I know a lot of bloggers put a lot more energy into their blogs than I do.  They hire designers, request ARCs, and post daily.  But mostly what I like to do is read.  And then to write about reading related stuff.  At some point I may try to figure out why my links come up in an ugly color, or why sometimes my text has white highlights.  If making infographics becomes something I find myself wanting to do in a range of contexts--for blogging AND teaching--then I will find the time to do it.   

All of that being said, I did find this reader's timeline I made last year as a model for my students.  Enjoy.




What are the competing demands on your time?  Because I'm pretty sure all humans have them.  How much time do you put into your blog weekly?  Actually, that's something I'd like to see a poll about, preferably on a blog that gets a lot more traffic than mine does.  I'm curious about that.  I'm also curious about the amount of time spent blogging in different demographics--do the college students spend more time than the working moms?  Do the authors blog less, since it's like giving away their work for free?

Also, can I get away with taking a nap right now without my kids getting out of control?



1 comment:

  1. I feel like this too! I see so many amazing graphics (and infographics) on other people's blogs and I think, Oh, I so wish I could do that! But I just don't have the time or energy to figure it all out and I have to face the fact that I am not as creatively or artistically inclined as some other people. Sigh ...

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Comments are almost as sweet as chocolate!